Home Forum Ask A Member SAE 60 Oil

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

Could this oil be used in the pre-war motors which call for SAE 40 if it was blended with TCW III?

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- … T_14649053

Being racing oil, it would have a high zinc content and I’m thinking it would help to seal the early motors with rotary valves on the crank.

cajuncook1
      Participant

Jim, a couple of years back I asked a similar question, but I made reference to the SAE 40 and TCW3 oil. I had a couple of experienced members state that they like to mix 1/2 and 1/2 of the TWC3 and SAE 40 oil at the factory recommended ratio. They felt the improved lubrication of the TWC3 oil and the increased viscosity of SAE 40 oil provided excellent lubrication, provided adequate crankcase sealing and aided in improved compression.

I wish I could remember the 2 members names for reference. All that information went down with the old boards. 🙁

aquasonic
        Participant

US Member

I have always wondered how motors that were recommended for SAE 40 were considered to be OK for TCW-3. There is clearly a difference in the viscosity between these two.

jim-moffatt
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nowherre i n the posts is the presence of detergents i n the oil mentioned.
            Be careful that the oil is not the detergent type. Detergent oils will not mix with gas well and do not work in 2-cycle engines. That is why all modern oils are labeled for 2-cycle use. Plain non-detergent sae 30-40-50-60 will work OK.

steveh
            Participant

US Member

This is another one of those topics which was discussed extensively but lost when the boards went down. What I recall from that discussion was that the modern TCW-3 does a better job at lubrication and burns more completely than the SAE grades. However, the higher viscosity of the SAE grades provided better sealing around the piston rings yielding higher compression and better idling. There were also some comments about high viscosity 2-cycle oils for use in older airplanes that might work in our outboards…

melugin
              Participant

US Member

I got a case of 40wt oil for free and am now using about 1/3 of it in each amount of oil mix for my pre-war motors. I also blend in TCW II, III, and synthetic. Motors running fine.

pappy
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

For my bigger opposed engines I will run a combination of Aircraft engine oil and TCW3 for the reasons stated already.

Mumbles
                  Participant

Does aviation oil have a high detergent content? I’ve heard of it being used before and being for air cooled motors, local guys here used to use it in their Harleys.

pappy
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The short answer is….NO!

Here is a longer answer.

http://www.swaviator.com/html/issueja02/Hangar7802.html

cajuncook1
                      Participant

Thanks for the link Pappy!

Cheers,

Cajun

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.