Home Forum Ask A Member Scott Atwater, 1959 7.5, questions

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member
      quote DavidK:

quote FrankR:

The only reason I can think of is the splines are gone out of the crankshaft and they “fixed” it by welding it together. Take a look up in the crankshaft and see if I’m right. Looks to me like you need a drive shaft AND a crankshaft. Or another motor.

Wow, I think you are right (as usual) Frank! Have you seen that done before?

I have a 10 hp Scott that seems to share a lot of parts. Looks like the 10 hp powerhead could bolt right onto the 7.5. Different year, different drive shaft. The 10 has the water pump up higher in the leg.

You ask if I have seen that before. Are you kidding? This is salt water down here. Seen it or similar lots of times. Got stuck with a few trade-ins that have been "fixed" in creative ways too.

davidk
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years
        quote FrankR:

You ask if I have seen that before. Are you kidding? This is salt water down here. Seen it or similar lots of times. Got stuck with a few trade-ins that have been “fixed” in creative ways too.

Yeah, this motor came as a "gift." Looks great cosmetically. Has good spark. Looked like I could gas it up and go. As I waded in, I found the full lines stiff and cracked, and the fuel pump corroded. Seemed a reasonable fix until I tried to get at the impeller(s).

I’m glad it was a poor welding job. Made it easier to get apart. Kind of hard to change the impeller if you can’t disassemble.

Mumbles
        Participant

If the splines are gone in the crank shaft, a socket can be welded onto the end of it and then the drive shaft gets ground and filed to fit the socket. Or it can be filled with epoxy while reassembling. It’s not a correct repair but it works.

The seal is made of thick cork. It’s a lot bigger and thicker than a push rod seal.

Ollie carries diaphragm material for the pump.

http://www.pfs-ware.com/Parts/OllieParts.htm

davidk
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years
            quote Mumbles:

If the splines are gone in the crank shaft, a socket can be welded onto the end of it and then the drive shaft gets ground and filed to fit the socket. Or it can be filled with epoxy while reassembling. It’s not a correct repair but it works.

The seal is made of thick cork. It’s a lot bigger and thicker than a push rod seal.

Ollie carries diaphragm material for the pump.

http://www.pfs-ware.com/Parts/OllieParts.htm

intriguing socket fix, Mumbles! Thanks for the info and resources.
            -DK

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.