Home Forum Ask A Member Sears Outboard ID

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bill-m
    Participant

This outboard is in an antique shop. Could anyone please tell me what year model, horsepower, who made it, parts availability, about how much it is worth,and any other info. A friend found it and I haven’t heard back from him on how much they are asking for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

IMG_0917

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Mumbles.
      Tom
      Participant

US Member

Made by Scott Atwater, not worth more than $75 in my opinion. Very dependable runners, it may need a condenser and they are not the standard configuration. Coil is probably good, or available with some hunting if it’s not. Water pump is the tadpole type, not one with vanes, and they are also available.

T

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Scott-Atwater and Chrysler made a trainload of those things, over a lot of years under several brand names. A decent motor if you are looking for something to actually use and go fishing with. They will get down to a dead slow troll speed all day. If looking for rarity, not.

green-thumbs
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have noticed that the shop where our chapter has a once a year meet
            has updated its sign from we will not work on motors made before 1965 to a more recent year. The reality is this, if you are not willing and able to restore and/or repair an older outboard no one else will, The hourly shop rate for motors they will work on is near $100 per hour. I have also noticed the shop has motors for sale that owners would not pay for the repairs that were done. It is not unusual for members to sell motors they have restored for less than cost of materials and parts used to make outboard look and function like new.
            Value of down on their luck old outboards is whatever a buyer and seller agree at a given time and place,
            As an example, I once purchased a common Mercury Mark 7 with a
            broken crankshaft, It took about a week of after supper work to tear
            it apart, replace the crankshaft, cam and flywheel with good used parts
            from parts motor. The same make and model generally sell for $75
            to $100 at meets. $35 for parts and labor if I could find a buyer.
            Old outboards are a not for profit hobby. A common outboard in poor
            cosmetic condition usually has other problems from neglect and
            hard use. I once was given a Mercury KF7 that had been left in a boat
            house for decades after it developed problems too expensive to fix.
            Getting it apart was a real job. A few parts were salvaged, not many,
            Free is sometimes about what an old outboard is worth.
            My wife has an even lower opinion of value or old outboards.
            Louis

bill-m
            Participant

I am not looking to make a pretty motor. I am looking for a motor that will run dead slow all day long as frankr has stated. I still don’t know the approximate horsepower of this motor. Is there a manual available for it? Thanks!.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

They were variously rated at 3.5 or 3.6hp. I’d place it at around 1960-ish

frankr
                Participant

US Member

“Scott Atwater and Chrysler” above is incorrect. Should be Scott Atwater and Scott-McCulloch.

jcrigan
                  Participant

I have that same motor. It’s a model 574.60030. Made in 1964. Seems to be a good runner in the barrel. They have steel gas tanks and sometimes are rusted through. Other than that they are dependable motors. Got mine for free.

seakaye12
                    Participant

US Member

One of those motors won the “How slow can you go” competition at the AOMCI meet in Constantine Michigan last year (2019)

bill-m
                      Participant

Thanks guys for all the info. They were asking $65.00 for the motor and I got it for $50.00. It is in California and my friend will not be bringing it out until May (he hates snow). It is a 3.5 horse motor. I would still need a manual for it if there is one available either hard copy or digital. Thanks again!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.