Home Forum Ask A Member Shift rod "O" ring Installation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    drifter
    Participant

Having done dozens and dozens of the 50’s OMC L/U seal kits, I always get super careful when installing the subject “O” ring.
      I used to just replace the “O” ring then tap the brass keeper in flush with bore casting, then install the shift rod. But, on a couple of occasions, I tore the “O” ring when installing the push rod. So I tried a different approach. I install the shift rod a few inches past the bore, then slip the oiled “O” ring over the rod, then place the “O” ring in the bore followed by the brass keeper tapped flush with the bore top using a 6″ piece of stainless tubing slipped over the rod.. How do you folks install the subject “O” ring?

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

if your method works… just continue doing it 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

bobw
        Participant

US Member

I use a similar method to what you describe, except that after placing the o-ring over the shift rod, I pull the rod with o-ring up into the bushing, then tap the bushing down into the bore with a piece of tubing over the socket.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

chris-p
          Participant

The Sierra rings are a bit too big and can do this.

Always but a dab of marine grease on the end of the shift rod before you push it in. Never dry!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.