Home Forum Ask A Member Spunhub

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Better late than never. Here is a picture of how I pinned the OMC prop. There are three stainless, heavy duty pins. The hub is stepped and is a larger diameter at the shear pin end, than the trailing end. There is substantial meat in the hub at this point, to hold the pins from twisting out. Sorry, I should have taken a picture of the hub, when I had it out for examination.

Pinned-prop-with-spun-hub

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Mumbles.
      Greg Messina
      Participant

hms hubs at http://hmshubs.com should be able to send you one put the hub and propeller in 180 degree water and use dish soap and rubbing alcohol mixture on the rubber it should press in if you have access to a press use the old hub to press it from the top

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Greg Messina.
        • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Greg Messina.
        labrador-guy
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Speaking of spun hubs, has anybody tried epoxies or silicone or urethane?   I have a OMC brass prop that goes on 25 to 40hp motors from 1950 to ’70 or maybe more.   It needs to be re-hubed.   I don’t need it but it would be nice to have it fixed!   The last one I had fixed cost 65 bucks.   I know urethane has some good adhesion and it would cushion some also.   Any thoughts on this idea?

dale

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Most people think shear pin protection when they think cushioned hub props.  But there is another big reason for them.  They cushion the gear shifting, helping prevent clutch dog wear.  Especially important with that heavy brass prop.

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.