Home Forum Ask A Member tcw3 in gas leaf blower?

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    kerry
    Participant

US Member

I’m with Frank and Tubs. I run TCW in all of my 2 strokes and have not fouled a plug in 20 plus years. I thought (dangerous, I know) that I read once that TCW has a lower ash residue, due to the lower burn off temps of outboards. My “logic” is the oil is needed in the crankcase, which is generally cooler than the cylinder. Its the burn off that differs. My Riobi weed wacker has the same plug it came with 12 or so years ago, still fires up fine. Three years ago I finally treated my old Toro snowblower to a new plug. Not much difference, but it deserved it after the 33 years of service it gave me so far. Oh, I have been using synthetic for the last 10 or so years, but notice its getting harder to find unless I get $$$ oil. Anyone use semi syn with similar results?

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

In all fairness, the “logic” is only half valid. The hottest part of the engine is at the exhaust ports, and that is where most of the wear occurs. It’s sort of a battle. The oil must provide cylinder lubrication, but in a perfect world it would burn off before being discharged into the water we drink and air we breathe. Solve that problem and get rich. Oh yeah, burn off with no smoke or smog also.

vintage.1958
        Participant

My last purchase of weed eater 2 stroke oil is Valvoline with the TCW3 designation on the label. Lists all types of water and air cooled applications on it. Got it from NAPA. Previous oil was labeled for air cooled engines no TCW3 mentioned on it. And another observation on gasoline. Casey’s General Store is now selling 91 octane gasoline without ethanol. Found it at a local one I’ve never been to.

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.