Home Forum Ask A Member Testing coils in 1974 25 HP Evinrude

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Steve D
    Participant

Thanks Don.

When I say I poked right into the plug wire making direct contact I didn’t go through the insulation. I took the boot and spring clip off and poked directly into the center of the exposed end of the wire making direct contact with the copper strands that way.

Rather than hold anything with my fingers I’ll use some alligator clips to avoid that false reading.

The original problem was the motor breaking up a bit at high rpm. I had new plugs, points, condensers, rebuilt carb. I didn’t check the spark with a tester at that point but I suspected a bad coil/weak spark on one plug. I was getting ready to leave on a fishing trip and needed this motor running well asap. I’m not too familiar with this style ignition (as far as testing coils, etc), and didn’t have time to figure it out, shop around or wait for parts to be shipped. I did check prices on all three coils and found they were higher than the 2 new Prufex coils I already had on hand. All I had to do was drill a couple holes in the armature plate for the new plug wires I also had on hand. I converted it back to that and the motor ran great on the trip!

Now that I’m back I’ll eventually get around to testing those coils again for accurate results. It’s good to know the driver coil has been updated/improved in case I ever revert back to that. I would rather put 3 new ones in anyway even if the old ones test good.

Thanks again for all the good info.

jeff-register
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have had high resistance with the factory crimp on connectors new from the factory. I solder the crimp type connectors then measure. Why would the secondary have so much more resistance? Higher output?

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.