Home Forum Ask A Member Transom thickness for Big Twins

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mr-asa
    Participant
      quote 1946Zephyr:

quote OLCAH:

The catalog for 56 lists max HP for the Crestliner Commander as 30 HP. I used it a lot with the 25 HP last year and several members have 25 HP on those boats.

That may be true, but that boat is 59 years old now. I don’t believe that it has the strength that it had when it was new. 😮

So long as the aluminum hasn’t yielded, I’d bet that it does. And even if it has yielded, so long as it hasn’t fatigued at that point you should still be fine.
      Lots of metals "age" with time, this generally increases strength. I’m not sure how many aluminum alloys are in that group, but I’m fairly sure that it’s more common than not.

In any case, I would bet that the wood in the transom is taking most of the force from the motor, not the aluminum.

olcah
      Participant

US Member

1946 Zephyr wrote "That may be true, but that boat is 59 years old now. I don’t believe that it has the strength that it had when it was new. "

I don’t either. : 😀
        OLCAH

Anonymous

Olcah,
          What model do you have? I just jumped on a ’57 Commander Model 501, the open model. Unfortunately have to wait a couple weeks before I can pick it up. It would be great if you could post a picture of yours.
          Kirk

pappy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years
            quote 1946Zephyr:

quote OLCAH:

The catalog for 56 lists max HP for the Crestliner Commander as 30 HP. I used it a lot with the 25 HP last year and several members have 25 HP on those boats.

That may be true, but that boat is 59 years old now. I don’t believe that it has the strength that it had when it was new. 😮

That probably applies more to people than aluminum boats……………

Oh Hell…..guess I better run over to the storage building and pull the 25 off my 12′ Alumacraft model R, built in 1954. Had to have been sheer madness to have put on a 35 and run it. Yes, we are just teasing you a bit!

olcah
            Participant

US Member

kirkp said: Olcah,
              What model do you have? I just jumped on a ’57 Commander Model 501, the open model. Unfortunately have to wait a couple weeks before I can pick it up. It would be great if you could post a picture of yours.
              Kirk.

I sent you a PM. I do not have an account to post photos but if you send me your email I will be happy to send a couple.

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.