Home Forum Ask A Member V4 OMC Ignition System Advice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jerryswiss
    Participant

I have always been a small horsepower kind of guy, 18hp and under, and everything I have has points. Had some bad experiences with CDI systems. Anyway I am looking for a bigger boat, probably with an OMC v4, 85 or 90hp. Question: What was the last year of the breaker point ignition in this type motor? And, if I found a boat with an OMC v4 of about the mid 1980’s age, how reliable are the CDI ignition systems and how available are the parts? Thanks

As you can tell my bias is for the old point ignition systems, that is what I am comfortable with.

pappy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The newer ignition systems are pretty darned good. The engines you are looking at had very robust systems on them. I would not hesitate at all.
        Also, the low output engines you are looking at are just about bulletproof as long as the previous owner took care and maintained it.
        There are two varieties of V4 to choose from. The later model 60 degree 90 is a powerhouse and extremely reliable. Better economy over the earlier 90 degree engine as well.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, the last year with points had battery CD ignition, not that reliable and expensive to repair. The last year for the mag/battery/distributor with the points was 1967.
          Don’ t be afraid of the magCD systems, they are not hard to understand/troubleshoot, and they are reliable. I am partial to the 73-77 models with the single powerpack/terminal board. No amphenol tools required, easy to troubleshoot, very reliable, and affordable parts.
          The 78-83 V4 systems are very reliable as well, but they have two powerpacks and you need the amphenol tools to troubleshoot.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

First years for Mag Cd was 1973 in V4 engines and 1972 in 50/65hp models. CD systems before those had a distributor cap under the flywheel, some had points and some were breakerless. Both were state of the art in their day, but crap compared to the Mag CD that replaced them. I find the Mag CD to be reliable and simple.

jerryswiss
            Participant

Thanks all, that is just the info I was looking for. There are a couple of boats I am going to look at and now I know what to look for.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.