Home Forum Ask A Member Wait time between primer and paint ?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jiall2
    Participant

NYMARINE. ca says to paint a second or next coat within about 36 hrs. Does anyone know if Reprotint paint is similar. I don’t work to fast and need more time between coats of paint. Thanks

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

There is no time limit if you are sanding between coats . . .
        😀

frankr
        Participant

US Member

jaill, you bring up a good point. While I can’t speak for Reprotint, many primers specify on the label a time limit between coats unless sanded (no-sand time), others do not even mention it. That kind of leaves us guessing, doesn’t it?

chris-p
          Participant

The better the paint, the longer the no sand time. It is something that we as outboarders NEED to know when restoring an Outboard. It is also something that is a critical aspect, as there are so many nooks and crannies that simply are difficult or impossible to sand on an outboard. Paints with no sand times of 0 just wont work for us.

twostroke
            Participant

Coming from an Olde Painter…ANY good urethane, especially bc/cc, has a "window" of being "green" and ok to recoat. Don’t fudge the mfgr’s suggested recoat times one bit….if anything, try not to even get close to their limits. Makes an absolute world of difference in adhesion and finish durability. Back when I owned parts stores and sold and mixed paint, I usta’ remind customers that "the guy that wrote the the instructions knows more than we do…"

Chris_P is right. Cheap paints are their own reward. Unless you’re just gonna’ look at it from a distance….buy the best bc/cc urethanes you can. Clearcoats especially….go into a parts store/auto paint store and pick up a quart of cheap clear….and a quart of the most expensive stuff they’ve got. Note weight difference. You get what you pay for.

ALWAYS wear a good mask, or fresh air equipment….then you won’t huff and puff like me.

Sermon over.

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

mikesea
              Participant

Best advice Jim it should be archived for all painters to refer to when painting.
                Mike

gypsmjim
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When I started restoring about 15 years ago, I used North York paint exclusively. Based on a consult with Peter on the phone, I have followed his directions all these years, even when I used other paint. It has worked flawlessly all the time.

Because of all the nooks and crannies on an OB motor, sanding is really not practical. ALWAYS recoat within the no-sand window. Early recoating is usually not a problem with me, but waiting a bit too long for the second coat may lift the first coat.

I always take easily removable parts off and prepare them for painting separately. (like props, cowls, etc.) Thus, when I paint I may have 8 or 9 sub-assemblies, all which use the same primer, but some may have a different top coat. Here’s my regimen:

* Spray the primer on one part at a time. When finished with the first coat, if 10 minutes have passed since starting, go back to the first part and start the second coat. (in other words, 10 min. between coats)
                  * Wait an hour – then apply the first top coat.
                  * Wait another hour and apply the 2nd top coat.
                  * If masking and doing a 2-tone finish, wait 36 hours, mask, paint the second color, 2 coats, 1 hour apart. At 2 hours remove the masking tape.
                  * Wait 7 days to apply decals.

Thus, it takes me about 2 1/2 hours to do 4 coats and the job is finished. Applying 1 single coat on an average sized motor takes me about 6 or 7 minutes. With good coverage on all the surface area I don’t know how it can be done any slower than that. If you can’t afford to set aside 3 hours to paint, then you may not like the results.

jiall2
                  Participant

gypsmjim – great post and just what I needed. Thank You

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.