Home Forum Ask A Member water in RD-19 manifold

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Geer Pyron
    Participant

I failed to plug two holes, the hose nipples near the carburetor, before giving an RD-19 a quick pressure wash. Should I worry about the little water that got sprayed in? Some did fo sho ’cause I turned the crank and a little dribbled out of the lower one.
      Thanks,
      G

JMGP

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I am assuming you can’t start it to expel the water, correct? You sure don’t want that water to settle into any of the bearings…It might be easiest to pull off the intake manifold and fill the crankcases with light weight oil….Then turn it over to make sure the oil gets into the bearings….

Geer Pyron
        Participant

Correct. I can’t start it. It’s taken all apart. I did reinstall the flywheel and pulled it over with rope though. That’s when the water sputtered out of the nipple. Should I have done that with sprk plugs installed? They were out. I had taken them out to get a little more speed on the rope pull. But now I’m thinking I need that extra pressure.
          G

JMGP

bobw
          Participant

US Member

I would pull the intake manifold off and see how much water got in there. If it’s just a little bit of water you can spray a bit of WD-40 and clean it up. I wouldn’t want to rope the motor over and pull a big slug of water into the crankcase. If there is water already in the case, then as Fleetwin noted, you should spray some fogging oil into the case and rope the motor over to get that oil into the crank bearings.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Geer Pyron
            Participant

Dang! Was hoping I wouldn’t have to ‘cuase I always mess up the paint on those screws. But ‘ll do it. Thank you.
              G

JMGP

RICK EICHRODT
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You might not have to take it apart. Get some kerosene and fill the inside of the block both through the spark plug holes and the carb intake. Let it soak…then drain. Fill with clean oil…..drain that. That should remove any traces of water.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.