Home Forum Ask A Member What Is A Good Set Of Taps and Dies?

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    jerry-ahrens
    Participant

US Member

You can also buy a set of tap sockets.They are made to push over the end of the tap, allowing you to then use a 1/4 or 3/8 ratchet. Handy as a shirt pocket. I forget where I bought mine, probably off one of the tool trucks. Taps and dies are one of those tools that fall under the category of ”you get what you pay for”. Since you usually only have one shot at repairing a damaged hole or fastener, better get a good set. I’ve used a Vermont American set for several years, then finally stepped up to a Snap On set.. big bucks, but wow, what a nice set of tools. Screw drivers and open end wrenches are some other tools that I can’t stand using unless their good ones. My wife bought me a full set of Snap On Flank Drive combination wrenches back before we got married. What a great Valentines day gift! My Snap On man at the time told me ” she’s a keeper, better hold on to her” !

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I really doubt that what was excellent Sears Craftsman quality 50 years ago is what is sold today at Sears.

rushing the job and abuse probably kills more taps than anything else.

just mho

Like Canadian tire stuff I purchased their better brand of screwdrivers … MAXIMUN … the very first Philipps screw I turn broke the tip made of what seemed to be agglomerated metal powder particles covered with a chrome layer.

they gave me another one to replace it 👿

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

I agree, quality in tools just about everywhere that’s not top dollar isn’t what it used to be, but I find that most of the stuff Sears puts the Craftsman name on is still a lot better than all the cheapies now on the market. I bought my tap and die set there about 10 years ago and haven’t broke any pieces yet. ….and yes I agree – going slow and using a lot of cutting oil (I find liquid wrench penetrating oil works fine too) protects the tools.
          Most of Sears hand tools are lifetime guaranteed, – I doubt the taps and dies are. I have taken back several abused worn out screwdrivers and a couple of abused, broken rachet handles over the years and they give you a new one no questions asked. They don’t even want to know who you are.

I once bought a group of 6 well worn out Craftsman screwdrivers at a garage sale and exchanged them for free new ones!
          Dave

beerman57
          Participant

When I bought my thread chaser set they were about $42 or $45, now they are about $60. Just get the 1/4-20 and 5/16-18 taps and dies, I don’t think they go smaller, but that covers like 99% of what I need cleaned up.

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.