Home Forum Ask A Member When a motor does overheat

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    wiscoboater
    Participant

That’s pretty cool Mumbles. Sort of works on the same principal as a brake lathe. You Kanucks are good!!

jpatti75
      Participant

US Member
        quote wannabe outboard guy:

Most guys just put a sheet of 120 grit emery cloth on a piece of flat window glass and run the head over it in a figure 8 pattern. do this till the gasket surface is shiny and even. That’s the Mumbles method. I believe Fleetwin does it the same way.

Yep, just did this with 220 grit wetland paper on a warped Mercury exhaust/water jacket cover recently. Took a good 30 minutes of elbow grease doing figure 8s, but it nice and flat … no more water leaks. Not a head, but the same principle.

JP

Mumbles
        Participant
          quote Mr. Asa:

I wanted to see the how the lathe attachment holds onto the head.

Blocks are fairly easy to attach to the face plate but heads can present a bit of a problem. Usually I have to thread three of the bolt holes so I can use a stud arrangement for mounting. This way I can run a dial indicator across the surface and adjust as necessary before making a cut. I’ll see if I have some more pics showing how different parts are mounted.

vintin
          Participant

I’m surprised a light removal of cylinder glazing hasn’t been mentioned.

Goman
            Participant

I de-glaze one cylinder just in case I want to see if it makes a difference down the road. 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.