Home Forum Ask A Member 1952 Evinrude super fastwin 15 HP fuel spray

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    kingstonlad
    Participant

I’ll be doing this over the coming weekend and will let you know results

thks

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well I’m lost….I’m hoping someone can explain just what that is for….Looks like some sort of recirc system, but appears to be in the middle of the crankcase, not at the bottom where excess fuel puddling would collect. Where does the passage with the plug lead, and why the heck would the other end of that little leaf plate be vented outside the crankcase?
        Am looking forward to being schooled on whatever this system is….

PugetSoundBoater
        Participant

If i understand correctly,the function of this fuel drain valve is for any fuel pooling between the carb and the intake would get sucked or flow through this rectangular valve and down into the crankcase. Please correct me and clarify if this is not correct info .Looking forward to being schooled on this also. ❓
          Thanks ,PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
          Robbie Robertson

kingstonlad
          Participant

David, how dare you be right? Your "img 0667" is exactly what I found after removing intake. Luckily I keep everything, replaced hoses, bolts, gaskets, etc., from motors I work on for 6 months …. yes I’m anal about it. I found all three missing pcs and installed them. I’m sure that will solve the issue. I’m a little surprised it ran so well with the pcs missing. Unfortunately, there’s nothing I can do about the senility! Perhaps more Jack will help the issue.

Thanks again to all that contributed … ron

frankr
            Participant

US Member

fleetwin, the purpose of the puddle drain valves it this: As the fuel/air charge moves through the crankcase, some of the heavier fuel particles drop out of the airflow, (think like rain). That results in raw fuel laying in the bottom of the crankcase chambers–both the upper and lower chamber. Too much fuel sloshing around in there makes for lousy running, especially at idle and moreso when you speed up after a prolonged idle. That accounts for much of the chugging we’ve all experienced until it clears out.

So, that is the problem. The two little leaf valves are the solution. Passages from both crankcase chambers are routed to the leaf valves and after passing through them it is dumped into the lake on the older motors. Starting in the late 1960’s effort started being made to route the drainage to the cylinders for burning.

The design of the older motors was state of the art for the day, but in reality was pretty inefficient. They started working on that issue in the 1960’s also. Some Merc guys will be quick to point out that old Mercs didn’t have drain valves. Yep, gotta admit their crankcases were a LOT more efficient.

david-bartlett
              Participant
                quote kingstonlad:

David, how dare you be right? Your “img 0667” is exactly what I found after removing intake. Luckily I keep everything, replaced hoses, bolts, gaskets, etc., from motors I work on for 6 months …. yes I’m anal about it. I found all three missing pcs and installed them. I’m sure that will solve the issue. I’m a little surprised it ran so well with the pcs missing. Unfortunately, there’s nothing I can do about the senility! Perhaps more Jack will help the issue.

Thanks again to all that contributed … ron

Glad I saved some old junk to take pictures of.

PugetSoundBoater
                Participant

Frank – thank you for your explanation of this .

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                  Robbie Robertson

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.