Home Forum Ask A Member Elto Sportster Not Pumping Water

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    pj43
    Participant
      quote legendre:

@pj43

Those ‘wobbler’ type pumps are among the simplest designs around, there’s not much to prevent them from working, other than excessive clearances – as others have noted.

I don’t mean to be insulting, but are you sure the little drive pin #550082 is in place? The pin is about 1/4″ long, and inserts into the prop shaft. The eccentric #550085 then slides over the prop shaft, and has a machined groove to accept the drive pin. Finally, the rubber rotor (aka “wobbler”) #550040 is fitted over the eccentric.

No pin = no eccentric rotation = no water flow. And they’re so easy to lose or just overlook.. Also, a missing gasket or intermediate plate will shut things down, too.

Thanks for the tip, because I was wondering where that extra pin came from…, but unfortunately that is only one of the problems because it still won’t pump water. What exactly do you mean by intermediate plate, though? Any further elaboration and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

legendre
      Participant

At this point, you probably need to have a parts diagram / catalog for the motor. Do you have one?

If not, I’m sure another member can help. I may have one myself, but will have to check into it..

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

I posted the parts book and a diagram of the pump here a while back …

. . . . . 🙂

legendre
          Participant
            quote Garry in Tampa:

I posted the parts book and a diagram of the pump here a while back …

You sure did, Mr. Big Blue.. it’s just one page back. 😉

My apologies for the confusion. In this case, the Sportster water pump doesn’t use the part I described as an "intermediate plate". For those interested, it’s Johnson part #41-300,589. But it seems it doesn’t apply to the Elto Sportster, despite the other similarities.

If the prop shaft is turning, and the eccentric is following it, then there are only a couple of remaining possibilities. You have a blocked intake, a blocked output, excessively worn water pump parts (inspect & measure the internal surfaces & clearances) or you’ve failed to establish a solid connection from the output of the pump to the base of the motor, via the water tube, where the water enters the power head cooling loop.

Again, an extremely simple and reliable system with (effectively) one moving part. The rest is all down to seal quality and basic plumbing.. "got leaky pipes?" 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.