Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 4305 Coil

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    fisherman6
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, the knot is kind of a challenge. What I have done is drilled a hole for a small roll pin near the hole the hook went into to help hold the knot. If that isn’t done the hole has a nasty habit of cutting the knot off the end of the rope. After tying the knot, I heat the knot with lighter and kind of mash it flat with a flat blade screwdriver to keep it out of the way. This has worked for me so far without issue.
      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Works for me . . . 😀

mike-stroz
        Participant

Looks like I’ve got a couple more questions- What should the plug gap be? I set it very roughly at first to make sure it ran. And is there any good replacement for the cork float? I coated it in 3 coats of the fuel proof model airplane dope but it still sunk after a little while

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Your 1939 Sportwin has a bore of 1.75" and a stroke of 1.375" for a piston displacement of 6.6 cubic inches. It develops 3.3 horse power @ 3,500 RPM. The fuel tank holds 6.5 pints, the oil to gas mix is 1/3 of a pint to the gallon (1 to 24 ratio) The 132584 shear pin is a3/16" diameter number 3 shear Aluminum rod 15/16" long. The two bladed aluminum semi-weedless propeller has a diameter of 7.5" and pitch of 6". The gears are lubricated by Grease as he cork seals are not the best, but better than nothing. Hope this helps . . . 😀

You will note that the 121020 feeler gauge in the tool kit shown o page 4 has a spark plug end of 0.025" & breaker point end of 0.020"

Starting and operating instructions

The factory specified Champion H10J spark plug has been replaced by there CJ8 – check website for latest numbers
            The float may be replaced by modifying Mercury 1395-8983 (NAPA 18-7308)
            Carburetor specifications –

mike-stroz
            Participant

Thanks! I’ll definitely save all those pictures for future reference! Looks like a previous owner put in a couple J7J’s instead of the CJ8’s, is there any meaningful difference, or can I get away with the J7J’s?

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

The J7 is good. It should run with a tan color. The coil high voltage secondary has a spark plug wire on each end. To complete the circuit both plugs must be grounded. If one plug gets fouled out the other has the potential to see an increase in voltage. However the voltage will be only what is required to overcome the resistance of the circuit. (up to the maximum that the magneto is capable of, at which point it fails) So if you ground one plug wire, the other should be able to jump a 1/2" gap to ground at fast cranking speed. . . 😯

mike-stroz
                Participant

Perfect, I’ll make sure they’re nice and clean before I run it next

Anonymous

Is 3/8" diameter too big?

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

Three eights inch diameter of what ?
                      . . . ❓

Anonymous

Sorry Garry, should have used quotes. The OP found some starter rope with wire core which was 3/8" dia.
                        Kirk

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.