Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude points oiler wick

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    fishbrick
    Participant

Thanks for the responses everyone. One other question, do you pre-oil the felt before install, and how does it continue to stay oiled?

amuller
      Participant

Is this better than greasing the cam?

fisherman6
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The wicks come pre-oiled with a very light oil so I would say pre-oiling it is the way to go. Do not over oil it or it will sling oil and foul the points. It holds enough oil to lubricate the points cam for quite a long time. It is recommended that the wick be replaced with regular tune ups. The wick will keep the points lubricated for that time. That said, I have cheated and lightly oiled the wick if it was still intact but dry. I used something like Hoppe’s gun oil or 3 in 1 oil and just enough to lightly dampen the wick.

Use the wick to oil the cam. I would not grease the cam.
          -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member

I also lay a little grease in the right angle of the points rubbing block wont throw the grease out just lubes as it wears.

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Agreed, if a dab of grease was placed inside the rubbing block, that would work OK. It would lube a bit as it wears and would not sling out.
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

fishbrick
              Participant

So do you think using a grease like a distributor grease is better than the oiler wick; or should it be used with it?

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.