Home Forum Ask A Member Flywheel persuasion

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    garry-in-michigan
    Participant

Lifetime Member

I have had success removing the hub by using a thin cut off wheel and cutting the slot over the key. Removing a coil gives you more room. The top is easy. Be careful near the bottom. I have a flexible shaft on my dremel and that helps me get close. Slow and careful does the job. Just a little out of line will break the wheel. After you are down as far as possible, drive a wedge into the top of the slot and add a few drops of penetrating oil. It should pop right off with a little prying. . . 😀

olcah
      Participant

US Member

From Frank’s table It looks to me like the flywheels should interchange. I notice that the original 1956 Johnson flywheel seems to sit on the taper about 1/8 lower than the flywheel from the 1954 motor. I’ll check more when I reassemble.

olcah
        Participant

US Member

Garry, I will print your procedure off and save it. If all else fails that would be a way out. Grinding at the keyway is a great idea. Thank you.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Don’t know if the 54 flywheel will actually fit, but it is physically different than what you have…You should be able to find the proper flywheel without much trouble or expense…
            Sometimes a 1/2" impact gun helps pop those flywheels as well…

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.