Home Forum Ask A Member gears, QD 11?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    david-bartlett
    Participant
      quote 1946Zephyr:

If that is a split case lower, I have all the innards, if you need them.

This is not a split case like more modern QD’s. The prop shaft, gears, etc. come out from the rear.

David,

I am pretty sure those gears are the same. You should be able to tell by some measurements on each. I don’t think the clutch dog on that motor can be flipped, but the gears could be swapped around if they appear to be the same.

I think the split case started in 1951 with the QD-12 which is a different critter altogether.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Oh. I had forgotten about that one. Sorry about my earlier thoughts and comment.

wedgie
        Participant

QD 10 + 11 parts manual here.Thanks to Austin Sailor 😀

http://www.austinsailor.net/manuals/qd10/qdr.html

1946zephyr
          Participant
            quote FrankR:

Oh. I had forgotten about that one. Sorry about my earlier thoughts and comment.

Frank, I am yet to even see one of those and I’ve messed around with outboards for over 20 years. They must be pretty rare. Weren’t they only used two years on the QD and one year on the Fastwin?

david-bartlett
            Participant
              quote 1946Zephyr:

quote FrankR:

Frank, I am yet to even see one of those and I’ve messed around with outboards for over 20 years. They must be pretty rare. Weren’t they only used two years on the QD and one year on the Fastwin?

Looks like 1949 & 1959 QD’s, then the change to the "modern" gearcase. Quite a few around this part of the country still.

davidk
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

David- Do you have a pile of these gear cases over there in Bethel?
                -DK

david-bartlett
                Participant
                  quote DavidK:

David,

No stash here! If I had one it would be on it’s way to you. I saw a couple at Bud’s(complete) but not sure what his parts motor situation is. If I come upon any I will keep you in mind.

davidk
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I took the gear case apart again to examine the forward and reverse gears. They measure up as identical. I have a NOS clutch dog coming. I’m going to go ahead and swap them.

Attachments:

davidk
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Attachments:

david-bartlett
                      Participant

David,

That is how I would proceed. I did see a gear set on FleeBay but was $$$$.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.