Home Forum Ask A Member Hello. First Post…

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    kerry
    Participant

US Member

My vote would be for twin Bigtwins. Parts everywhere, easy to repair without special tools, manuals abound, electric start models have manual backup, remote control capable. Twins would be for peace of mind. You can run one at a time and have a backup just in case. Both together may give a little extra in case the weather charges in.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Reading your requirements, I’d say you are looking for an OMC 18hp. Tough, reliable, classic style, easy to service and parts available everywhere. If you are lucky enough, they came in electric start. I say lucky because everybody wants one. But no generator is available. No big deal. In spite of all the hype, they are as good in salt water as the newer ones. Salt water attacks anything.

Twins have great cool factor.

Condition is everything!!!

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When I mentioned salt water capable, yeah, most OMC stuff falls into that category. What I was thinking when I phrased it that way, is that a lot of non-OMC motors from the 50s, 60s and even early 70s are NOT salt water capable. Early Mercurys being high on that list. Today’s Mercs are as good or better than anything out there; but back then, there were not.

Long live American manufacturing!

reivertom
          Participant

US Member
            quote mworthan:

Thanks folks. Everyone! Great suggestions and I appreciate the kind words. A few things that I haven’t mentioned. Everyone’s right about the generator. I’ll carry a 2000w yamaha inverter genny and the ship is rigged for 30A shore power. Recharging will be handled that way. I have a Webasto 9000btu marine ac unit to install so a genny has to be part of the equipment.
            Bill W brought up a good point about “salt water capable”. Bill, you mentioned the 80s OMC as this being one of the reasons. Does this factor rule out the older OMC engines? Are the built with parts that can’t take the salt?

The older type motors were used in every type water, but you will have to flush them out and hose them off before storage. They don’t do as well if they are kept in the salt water for extended periods such as at a marina. The later motors are made to endure the salt a little better, but they are a more complex to work on.

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I grew up on salt water and have been working for a living on boats based in salt water, for 41 years, now. I like Mercurys and all; but trust me when I tell you the old ones can’t hold a candle to OMCs in the salt. It’s not even close. It kills me to admit it; but it is all too true. I have lived the difference.

Long live American manufacturing!

eviltwin
              Participant

Cool boat, looks a little like Hemmingway’s Pilar. Keep posting pics.

mworthan
                Participant

Hey Guys. Seems quick but have a fella near me with a 1956 Evinrude 30hp big twin electric start for $300. Looks to be in good shape. I’m thinking it may be the one. Any opinions?

mworthan
                  Participant

compression reads 115????

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, sounds like you have the battery charging handled, so an outboard with charging capability will not be an issue. Please be very careful wiring the generator/shore power circuits, improper wiring could lead to premature electrolysis/corrosion on the outboard’s gearcase.
                      So, it seems as though you would be most interested in a late 50s- mid 60s OMC 18/20hp with electric start. These can be found in remote electric start/control versions, and are simple with basic magneto ignition. I’m sure you can find a similar offering from Mercury of that vintage as well.
                      What a beautiful boat, a real labor of love, looks like a lot of fun.
                      That 56 Bigtwin would be great also, but make sure the seller has ALL the wiring, including the boat harness. The only problem is that the 56 engines used a six volt battery system. Using 12volts on the starter won’t hurt it, but you would have to use a resistor to cut down the voltage for the electric choke.

mworthan
                      Participant

Can the harness be purchased for the 56 bigtwin?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.