Home Forum Ask A Member I was told…special after market props for ’54 12hp Gale

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    outbdnut2
    Participant

US Member

Those 1950’s OMC motors had a lot more low end torque for pulling up skiers than later year motors of the same HP. The older ones had bigger cylinders. Downside was they burned more gas. As a 150 pound teen, I used to ski double behind the neighbor’s 1958 18 Johnson, and I routinely pulled three teen skiers behind Dad’s 1960 40 HP Johnson. These motors were all on 14′ aluminum runabouts that didn’t weigh much compared to most of today’s boats. One person in the boat sitting in front at the steering wheel. No – you didn’t need 40 HP to pull one skier back then.
      Dave

outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member

Back to your original propeller question. Propco sells several props for your motor at reasonable prices – click on the link below and scroll down to the 15-18-25 HP pin drive props.
        Dave

http://propcopropellers.com/evinrude—johnson.html

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

In Minnesota, you don’t need a 2nd person in the boat to pull a skier if you have a curved, wide angle rear view mirror, except on a hand full of crowded lakes, and some of these only require the 2nd person on weekends. Law since boat licenses and laws started here in, I think, 1960.
          Dave

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.