Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson SD-15 with Pressurized with Integral Tank?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    jerry-ahrens
    Participant

US Member

Thanks Ben! I bought this motor from another member in Canada. Al Lockhart was kind enough to bring it down to Tomahawk. I’ve always wanted one of these, because they are part of the evolution from the old square tanker motor to the remote fuel tank motors of the 50’s. I’ve heard the SD10 had some powerhead problems on the early ones, and Johnson paid to have the powerhead completely replaced under warranty. You don’t see to many of them around.

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You sure don’t see too many of them around. The SD-10s are few and far between. I have a SD-15 but it’s a junker. I have a decent 1949 SD-20 that’s a really good runner. I like that motor and I was excited to get it for the same reason. It’s another piece of the evolution. First of the remote tank motors. I made a video of it on the boat in my little pond a couple weeks ago. It’s a beast and running a 16hp direct drive motor with independent throttle amd spark advance on my little pond that’s maybe 1/4 acre was quite a rush. 😎

https://youtu.be/_etaiqKmZ2M

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

Neat motor Ben. You probably had a few frogs wonder what was going on!

Prepare to be boarded!

Mumbles
          Participant

What happened? Did you hit a log at 1:26? Lots of fun crossing your own wake! ☺

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

No log Mums. That was just me crossing my wake and backing off the throttle. The wake and lower prop rpm lifted the motor a little. I gave it a gentle bump again to set the motor back against the stop and off I went again. 😆
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

fisherman6
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                quote Buccaneer:

Neat motor Ben. You probably had a few frogs wonder what was going on!

Thanks Buc,
                A few frogs, fish, and turtles get a little nervous now and then out there. 😀
                -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

jerry-ahrens
                Participant

US Member

Neat video ! It does sound like a torquey motor. I guess I need one of those to go with the SD10. 😀

fisherman6
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Jerry! Yeah, it’s a torquey beast. I’m looking forward to getting it on the lake to stretch it’s legs a bit more.
                    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

jerry-ahrens
                    Participant

US Member

That would be a nice motor to bring to Tomahawk and run. Big enough to get up on plane and explore the lake. I’m thinking of a way to bring 2 boats up this year, that way I could run some motors like that one, and still have the Big Twin for long cruises. If you bring that motor, I’ll have to talk you out of a ride!

fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I plan to bring it with me. I’d be happy to take you for a boat ride Jerry. We can certainly make that happen.
                        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.