Home Forum Ask A Member Lower unit on a speeditwin

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
      • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
      destroyer85golf
      Participant

Wanted to thank you guys for all your advice and help! Went ahead and welded a plug into the front and ground it smooth. Got a picture of my son watching his grandpa welding on the lower unit.

Attachments:

george-emmanuel
        Participant

US Member

Whoa there! Heat distorts and that plug need not be welded.

George

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

I don’t understand how this happens. I posted this yesterday and it disappeared – so I will post it again . . . 🙄

That Rotary valve Speeditwin came out in the early ’30s with battery ignition as an Elto Super "C" and with a flywheel magneto as an Evinrude Speeditwin – That Elto pattern gearcase was the best for speed and was reproduced by Clyde Wiseman (Wico Piston Company) for "C" service racing.

It became totally Evinrede in 1939 with the 6039 model. It was built with three distinctively different lower units.

Yours (the middle one) has the gearcase designed for the Army Stormboat Motor of World War Two. Designed to run up on hostile beaches. it is very rugged and is the slowest of the three. Many owners cut off the "wings to reduce drag. Evinrude noticed and when the supply of Stormboat Motor lower units was used up ( they were working on an order for 5000 storm boat motors for the invasion of Japan when President Truman dropped the A Bomb and ended WW2.) the next production run was cast without the projections.

Here is the parts book for your Speeditwin –

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.