Home Forum Ask A Member Mark 20 with bendix ign problem

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    jerry-ahrens
    Participant

US Member

I just checked a couple new Bendix condensers, and they are the same, at .22 the only other thing would be the leakage test.

jeff-register
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes I agree too. But to find which plug wire goes where get some masking tape & wrap one plug wire for I.D. Next with the spark plugs removed & flywheel off, watch the marked wire coil as you turn the crankshaft for the points to open. The instant the points start to open stop & stick a long screwdriver into the bore to find which piston has come up to fire. That cylinder/points are a match. The other set must match too. Easy & works on any 2 cylinder mtr.
        Be sure to use a meter putting every together as final assembly happens. I clean everything very well & wipe all traces of oil off using Windex as oil will conduct energy too & rob power from the spark plug too. I use vasoline on the rotating parts of the block & magneto plate for lubercation as well. Once both sets of points are set, rotate the magneto plate maybe 25% of the way & recheck gap, then 50, then 75%. If the gap remains the same you have little wear. If at 100% throttle the gap changes too much, reset the full throttle gap & work down till you stay with in range on the gap. May require a few times to get it with in range but keep at full throttle points setting at a correct gap range. It may run a little rough at slower RPM but we never run slow for long.
        Another way to check is use a locking mike & check at different spots. Be sure to have the two adjustment side play screws set also. They are very touchy so keep everything spotless clean & no oil on the feeler gauge strips too. Final check with the meter to have no resistance across the contact points & wire termination.

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.