Home Forum Ask A Member Mcculloch 4hp no start

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    joesnuffy
    Participant

The guys here know where to get rings if it turns out you need them.

I hate to keep harping on the exhaust being restricted but if everything else checks out to be o.k. it may need to be re-visited.

I am guessing the motor also has an impeller to pump water to cool the exhaust. The impeller is in the 3rd picture it also helps to silence the exhaust adding the water to exhaust. Its the black rubber part in picture.

MY QUESTION Could you tell me or show me a picture of what part bolts to the exhaust port in this 1st picture. Have you tried starting the motor briefly using starting fluid with that part off the motor?? That exhaust muffler part would take the bulk of the carbon build up since its the first place the exhaust goes. I have a 2 stroke yamaha golf cart it has a huge muffler they also become clogged and the fix without buying a new one is to build a fire then hang the muffler right above the hot coals and let the oil and carbon melt and run out of the muffler.

If the exhaust is restricted then the engine can’t draw fuels in because it can’t push air out if that makes since. I am guessing that the part that bolts to the exhaust port here is not water cooled its the first place the exhaust goes and is vulnerable to carbon build up then the water is added thus surrounding it in the second picture to help keep it cool and reduce sound.

Joe

Attachments:

amuller
      Participant

I just skimmed through this thread and can understand your frustration. Chances are it’s something simple that you’re too close to easily see. Can you get somebody else to take a look at it with you? In general go back to fundamentals–if you have fuel, spark, and compression it should at least pop. Have you used an in line spark tester? It’s possible to have a bad plug wire or coil such that there is spark in one position but not in the installed position. Thinking spark because if you are priming it through the spark plug hole it should pop regardless of carb status. Also it seems that the carb was messed with previously to your getting it, suggesting perhaps a longstanding problem. Have you checked coil primary and secondary resistance with a meter? Checked point resistance? Checked for good grounding of stationary point> The plugs fire when the points open, which should be just a bit before top dead center with the lever in start position. This ignition is very similar to that used on Tecumseh/Sears lawn mower engines of pre-solid-state times. I’m not certain, but you might be able to harvest parts off an old lawn mower. (Timing will be fixed on a mower but coil, condenser, and points might fit.) If you are feeding it many doses of starting fluid, etc, make sure to give it shots of oil so as not to wash off the oil and score things. Good luck!

joesnuffy
        Participant

I think that is a great idea if he possibly lives near one of our members here or knows someone that is good with outboard repair. Outboards are a bit different than other types of motors. I live in East TN Johnson City and would be glad to help if you live near me. Possibly if you mention where you live a member in your area would be willing to help out. I learned about outboards through necessity over the past 30 years because a new one cost so much now its more of an addiction lol.

Hope that helps,
          Joe

amuller
          Participant

Also, if you are an AOMCI member you likely received a membership directory in the mail within the last couple of weeks.

Alan

john8504
            Participant

I did join the site but I haven’t recieved anything in the mail. I live in Austin, tx.

Update: joined and waiting on info packet.

Going to rip into motor and since I have a donor motor, I’ll compare parts and see what might require replacement. First and foremost, the reeds. Pictures to follow.

john8504
              Participant

I’m going to add lots of pictures. I did notice that the reeds on motor were not in best of shape (in pictures) and the ones from the donor were in great shape…in swapped them out after putting a little steel wool to it. Also included is the makeshift gasket I put on since I couldn’t find another.

Attachments:

john8504
                Participant

Picture of bad reeds

Attachments:

joesnuffy
                  Participant

They look pretty clean now they did not before. I put locktite on those screws when I put reeds back on a motor. I usually use the red colored locktite on them to make sure screws don’t back off and get eaten by motor.

One thing I do is take a flashlight and look to see if I can see light coming through the reeds once I got it all like I think it should be before putting it all back together.

I see a muffler pipe attached to bottom of power head. Does any thing connect with where I have drawn a rectangle around the exhaust port????

Joe

Attachments:

john8504
                    Participant

It was just a plate that directs the exhaust flow towards the baffle that I have pictures above.

Yeah the reeds were pretty bad. Good idea on the flashlight. I’ll try that when I get home.

joesnuffy
                      Participant

I see what your saying. So the exhaust leaves exhaust port thru like a diverter then thru the baffle then exits thru the bottom of the outboard near the foot. All that is of course is clear and non-restricted I’m sure you have checked that out. No mud or nests down low where the exhaust leaves the foot? The reeds look good enough now to get the motor to hit. The ignition is firing and you know where to set your lever to make timing correct. Seems like it would hit at this point if you have adequate compression.

Once you get it re-assembled let us know if you get it to hit if not have you tried a tad of gear oil in the cylinder yet? Also I would like to know what your compression gauge shows with the oil in cylinder for psi?

Hope that helps,
                        Joe

ps glad you hear you joined the club and your waiting on info packet. Also your name should appear in red color now you have joined . You may have to contact the administrator on that. It also gives you access to more areas when you click on Board Index above.

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 133 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.