Home Forum Ask A Member 10 Hp Johnson

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    billy-t
    Participant

hi here is my dumb question for the day

Would I be able to take the armature plate and flywheel from a 1956/57 10 hp and substitute it completely on a 1955 10 hp so as to use the later starting mechanism which I have in abundance? I have to pull the flywheel off any way and don’t have a recoil for the ’55.

In my defense I am lazy and there are not the same abundance of motors north of the 49th parallel as there are south of it.

Thank

BT

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Sure, but the hitch is going to be there is no mounting hole on the ’55 block for the wider spaced recoil starter screws.

billy-t
        Participant

Ah right, need the right starter

chinewalker
          Participant

US Member

Got me thinking – the 3hp used the same recoil mechanism – I wonder if diameter of, say, a 1962 3hp pulley would fit a 1955 10hp housing? Then, would the later 10hp flywheel (smaller diameter) from say a 1961 Johnrude 10hp fit the pawl setup of the 3hp starter pulley? Further research is needed…

chinewalker
            Participant

US Member

Okay – a little eBay poking around and comparing pics of recoils, it looks like the pin the 3hp pawl sits on is closer to the hub of even the later style 10hp recoils, which rules out using a later style flywheel/1955 recoil housing with 3hp guts… Oh well….

chris-p
              Participant

Billy,

I may know a guy with an abundance of 50s OMC parts 🙂 Ill look around for you. Just let me know what you need.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Seems like it would be easier to just repair the existing simplex starter…Perhaps look for a serviceable used starter…

wbeaton
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I was elbows deep in a tote filled with early 10-15 hp recoils on the weekend. Unfortunately, that ship has sailed. The container is packed with boats and locked up for the season.

Wayne
                    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

billy-t
                    Participant

Thanks fellows, I will check with Chris and Wayne in the spring

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.