Home Forum Ask A Member 12 hp gale 1956

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    adam1961
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Frank,
      Using the superseded numbers, I found the correct needle and seat in my inventory. It is a 5/16 and has the usual small orifice. I will measure it against the one for the remote tank motors. The only difference visible at a glance is that the needle has a groove and clip to hold it to the float arm.

I will post back when I have compared the by measuring.

need2fish
      Participant

Frank, you just saved me a lot of trouble…. I was just about to convert my Buccaneer 12 to tank fed. I’ll have to source a 12 hp pump-compatible carb.

I was going to convert my Viking 5, but it’s not necessary project so I’ll leave it — the tank is quite large and the motor runs a couple of hours with it.

adam1961
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

So here are my findings. As you can see in the photo, both seats have a 5/16 thread, but the one for the gravity feed motors has a larger orifice. This makes sense. It must be that the 12Hp needs even more fuel and requires the 3/8 seat when it is gravity fed.

To bring this back to the original issue, how does this all affect up pump conversions? I have not looked through parts books yet to see what was contained in the factory conversion kit, but I doubt that the seat would had been replaced, which would starve the motor of tank fed.

Attachments:

frankr
          Participant

US Member

I don’t think the Gale fuel pump conversion allowed you to use your choice of tanks. Unlike the 3hp Johnson and Evinrude conversions with extra fuel line valves.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Gale accessories book doesn’t show any carb parts with the fuel pump & tank kit

adam1961
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Interesting. I never new that it eliminated the ability to use the integral tank.
                Is that from a 1957 or earler accessory parts list? It show the nipples on the pump as being two different sizes. The 1957 motor had a large nipple in the bowl on the carb and the 1959 with factory pump had a small inlet nipple.

In any case, I think we have solved this and it is an import subtlety, that may be often overlooked, when scavenging parts and then trying to diagnose running issues.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.