Home Forum Ask A Member 13/16" Expansion Plugs

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant
      quote Buccaneer:

I looked up “Spherical Radius”……… no idea what they said….

Try and vision the Welch plug being a chunk taken out of a metal ball, which has a diameter of 2 1/16" or a radius of 1 1/32".

The plug is round, like a coin, but the convex surface is rounded to, in the other direction. Or better yet, if you ever change lifters in your vehicle, the bottom of the new lifter isn’t flat. It has a slight convex shape to it so the lifter will rotate and not wear on any one surface, like this one ground with a radius of 50".

Attachments:

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

If the Spherical radius stated of 1-1/32" was half of the diameter, .812,
        it would make sense to me, sadly it’s not.

Prepare to be boarded!

bill-loveland
        Participant

from the autozone site, I copied "Dorman – Autograde Concave Steel Cup Expansion Plug 13/16 In., Height 0.810 In." and googled it – took me to:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing … dition=new

bill-loveland
          Participant

quote Buccaneer:

If the Spherical radius stated of 1-1/32″ was half of the diameter, .812,

OK – try this – if you want to save money and make one, you’ll take a penny and form it over a trailer ball with a sledge hammer to make it dish shaped. What’s the radius of the trailer ball?

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member
              quote bill_loveland:

quote Buccaneer:

If the Spherical radius stated of 1-1/32″ was half of the diameter, .812,

OK – try this – if you want to save money and make one, you’ll take a penny and form it over a trailer ball with a sledge hammer to make it dish shaped. What’s the radius of the trailer ball?

So the Spherical Radius is …… The arc of the expansion plug continued
              in a complete circle, divided in "two"? If so, that makes complete sense.
              Either way, Thanks!

Now the big question is, who’s going to hold the penny while
              I proceed with the sledge hammer? 🙂

Prepare to be boarded!

bill-loveland
              Participant

I used to ask my wife to help me with that sort of thing. She’s now my ex-wife.

Don’t ask your wife.

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

Use your two inch trailer hitch ball to make a depression in your wooden work bench. Then use that ball to hold the coin in the depression . . . 😀

Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member

Still awaiting my email "Request a Quote" from Hubbard Spring Co.
                    on the expansion plugs. Until it comes, I’ll hold off in defiling my
                    work bench with a trailer hitch ball, and not hurt myself with any more math!

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.