Home Forum Ask A Member 1913 evinrude rowboat motor

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant

tinkerman
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

thanks tubs

It's a jungle out there.

labrador-guy
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

tinkerman, Tubs has got you filled in pretty good! Just to add a little note, this “OO” grade grease works good in gear cases like rottertillers and snow blowers. Also some outboards that have seals that don’t seal anymore. It hangs on the moving parts and stay inside pretty good. Does not mix with water so at the end of the season the water can be drained off and the case filled with grease and your good to go! Tractor Supply sells some, they call it picker head grease.

dale

tinkerman
          Participant

I think I’m really close to having this thing running but I’ve hit another snag that I’m not very educated on. The buzz coil. Yesterday the one I had on it just stopped. I figured the battery was dead and charged it over nite and today it still wasn’t working so I grabbed my second one. I built a little handy box with a switch and tried it out and it worked for about 5 minutes and quit. I’m using a 12 volt lawnmower battery which I’ve read mixed reviews about. Seems like it was really really hot. I’ve got one more buzz coil but I don’t want to make the same mistake again. Both of the ones that were working look like a sparkler at the business end the entire time their buzzing. Is this normal? If someone can educate me a little I’d sure appreciate it.

It's a jungle out there.

dave-bernard
            Participant

I think it may be a 6 volt system not sure.

tinkerman
              Participant

I’ve seen discussions where people say they’ve ran 12 volt batteries before , but I’m thinking your right, I think I’ve fried two of the 3 coils I own. So by 6 volt, what type of battery do I use? Do they sell a 6 volt battery at Napa or advance auto?

It's a jungle out there.

dave-bernard
                Participant

I remember my father using a 6v hotshot dry cell on his Fordson tractor back in the 50’s

eltoquad
                  Participant

If you have a Ford model T buzz coil, which are readily available , you can run 12 volts or even more as the Ford electrical system used to put out over 20 volts when running at upper rpm range.

The Boat House
                    Participant

Tom
                      Participant

I use a 7.2 V Makita battery for all my buzz coil and ELTO applications, haven’t had a problem yet. If you’re seeing that much sparking at the buzz coil points, the condensers may need replacing inside the box. And 12 volts is pretty high for them.

Tom

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.