Home Forum Ask A Member 1922-1964 Johnson Service Manual

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jdean
    Participant

I just bought my first antique outboard yesterday, and I’m very excited to get it running with my two sons, ages 11 and 9. The motor is a 1954 Johnson RD-15 25hp. I have found the operators manual and the parts catalog online, but have struggled to find the service manual. Does anyone know where I can get an electronic copy of this manual? Specifically the 1922-1964 Johnson Service manual, 10th edition seems to be the right one. Links for this manual have been posted in this forum previously, but those links no longer work. Thank you!

nj-boatbuilder57
      Participant

This is the Gale manual (virtually the same as Johnson) that covers the Gale-branded version of Johnson’s offerings for that period: http://www.richardlpaquette.ca/GaleProducts1951-1963ServiceManual.pdf

Gale, Evinrude, Johnson, Viking…with a few small variations here & there, the basic operations & parts & data are pretty much interchangeable.

May not be exactly what you want, but it’s a start & surely better than nothing!

jdean
        Participant

THANK YOU!! This manual seems to cover everything I need, so it should perfect. My boys and I are super excited!

I got the motor to run for a short time yesterday, and it obviously needs the carburetor and the water pump rebuilt. While I’m at it, I think I will open up the lower end and change out all the seals and gear oil down there. I checked the coils through the flywheel, and they are cracked, so I might as well change those out too.

I am very pleased with how easy this motor seems to be to work on, but boy is it LOUD! I heard that these were loud, but I wasn’t expecting Harley Davidson straight-pipe loud. We will definitely turn heads out on the lake while wearing ear plugs. Ha ha.

Thanks again for your help.

nj-boatbuilder57
          Participant

Happy to help

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

jdean.. .time to join up 🙂 get a free download of the johnson 10th edition service manual in the members only section

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.