Home Forum Ask A Member 1922 Elto Ruddertwin timer repair

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Monte NZ
    Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Hi All

I’m currently repairing  the above. The cover plus the latch / lifter and spring are missing. Hopefully I will be able to get the missing parts from Doug &Matt Penn’s Outboards.

What is puzzling me, is the  missing “snubber” on the latch.  I’m wondering what it is made of. I  was going to make one out of ABS plastic. but aren’t sure of the size

Any help would be much appreciated.

Monte NZ

The Boat House
      Participant

I believe you are referring to this as the “snubber” on the latch”
        It’s metal, likely steal. I suspect it is pressed in. Was it removed or did it
        just fall out? I don’t think you’ll be able to solve that mystery or why
        the other parts have come up missing. Being taken apart and not being
        able to get it back together (when there wasn’t anything wrong with it
        in the first place) would be my guess. The Penn’s had a complete timer
        for sale on eBay recently but I see it has been sold. You’ll probably have
        to buy a complete timer to get the parts you need unless you’re really
        lucky. I don’t have that kind of luck.
        Tubs

The Boat House
        Participant

Here are some measurements. All in inches.
          It appears to be flat on top, not curved.
          Best I could do. Hard to hold all the stuff
          and take a picture.
          Tubs

Monte NZ
          Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Hi Tubs

Thanks very much for your reply Tubs……the photos are excellent!

Thanks for clarifying the “snubber’……. I thought it may have been rubber.

You are quite right in that the motor has had a very hard time and is a mess. especially the timer innards.

Whoever played around with it last, didn’t know what they were doing and I suspect that who ever was playing round, gave up and didn’t even bother to put it back together, resulting in the bits being lost.

I have managed to clean everything, but with the latch/lifter missing it won’t be running any time soon!

Mechanically it seems to be ok. There seems to be plenty of bounce at the flywheel and the gearbox is in excellent condition and full of clean grease.

Wiring and fuel pipes are a mess with some form of home made coil setup jammed under the tank.

One point in it’s favour is that it doesn’t  appear to have had any salt water use, or if it has, its been flushed out with fresh. going on the lack of visible corrosion.

Today I made up a replacement spring, so all I can do now is try my luck  getting a latch / lifter from the Penn’s……..keep your fingers crossed !Thanks once again.

Monte NZ

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.