1925 A-25 Ignition help

Home Forum Ask A Member 1925 A-25 Ignition help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• MonkeyButt

Replies: 80
    Topics: 37

Ok everyone, I am restoring my first 1925 Johnson A-25 Waterbug. I get great spark on one cylinder and nothing on the other. I am assuming it is a bad plug wire but I do not know for sure. I have not seen an armature with the wires sealed in tar. What is the proper way to service this armature? Dig out the tar? Heat it up?

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.

lyks2tinkr

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 402
    Topics: 55

It sounds like the wire that is not sparking is grounded to the armature plate.
    The spark plug wires on that mag plate are loaded against tabs that are buried in the tar.
    You can unscrew the baklite ferrule that is capturing the offending plug wire and gently pull out the wire for replacement. As long as your replacing one wire you should replace them both.
    A word of caution, if all is original the wires are just spring loaded against the tabs. if its been monkied with its possible someone long ago soldered the wires to the tabs and pulling on them will break the tabs off the coil.
    Good luck.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by lyks2tinkr.

The Boat House

Replies: 4550
    Topics: 111

https://aomci.org/forums/topic/tonights-episode-what-do-i-have-here/

The Boat House

Replies: 4550
    Topics: 111

need2fish

Replies: 281
    Topics: 15

Use extreme caution on removing the bakelite ferrules — they tend to crumble — no replacements that I know of.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.