1926 Elto Coil

Home Forum Ask A Member 1926 Elto Coil

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• feddy

Replies: 9
    Topics: 5

I purchased a replacement coil ( the surplus coil off of Ebay) and I boiled out the old coil I checked the Ohms on the new coil and even though I used an analog tester it did show that the ohms was somewhere around the 10 ohms as suggested, I soldered the two new spark plug wires on the nubs as instructed and I used a Weller solder gun but when I rechecked the ohms (even though I tried to keep it as cool as possible) the meter maxes out now as it has complete continuity across the two nubs. Did I just ruin this coil? I don’t know what else I could have done differently other than maybe submersing the coil most of the way while soldering.. Please advise

The Boat House

Replies: 4550
    Topics: 111

You didn’t accidentally have your meter on the wrong setting?

wbeaton

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1037
    Topics: 101

Normally if you overheat the coil the secondary wire will separate giving you infinity. It’s normal for the resistance to increase a little as more material is added. Sounds to me like a cold soldered joint or a connection that is contaminated with too much flux. What kind of solder and flux did you use?

Wayne
    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

feddy

Thank you for responding so quickly. Please forgive me but I am not very versed when using an ohm meter. You are probably right about having my meter on the wrong setting. I tested again with the meter at Rx1k and got around 6500 ohms across the nubs. That being said, I tested across the two smaller wires on the coil and they showed continuity the tested across one nub and yellow wire and got nothing then tested across black (ground?) and nub and nothing. So am I good to go on this coil? I really do appreciate this wealth of information that you provide!

Tom

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 636
    Topics: 57

6500 ohms across the nubs (secondary coil) is normal. Low ohms (less than 2) across the two wires (primary) is normal. No reading between the primary and secondary is normal for this coil. So it looks like you’re good to go.

What are you using for a condenser?

T

feddy

When rebuilding the coil, do you prefer to put both the coil and the condenser inside the cannister and then filling the cannister full of wax or do you prefer to bolt the condenser on the outside of the cannister?

The Boat House

Replies: 4550
    Topics: 111

RICHARD A. WHITE

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 1840
    Topics: 140

I am almost done with a solution to allow everything to be inside and no longer a need to fill with wax to hold everything in place.
    I have samples and I have already sent some out for testing. I ran one of the setups at Constantine last year on my Ruddertwin with no failures.
    So for those needing a coil, this will be the solution, if your housing is junk, this will be the solution, if you wiring is junk, this will be a solution.
    I am working on an article for the Outboarder as we speak..

Stay tuned.

Regards

Richard

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
    classicomctools@gmail.com

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.