Home Forum Ask A Member 1926 Johnson J-25

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    muddog2
    Participant

I recently acquired a 1929 Johnson J-25 and it is missing the plate on the end of the muffler. I have one with it, but the screws are too small for the muffler. Here are several pictures of what I need and what I have. The larger bolt in the last picture is close to the size I need. It starts to thread in, but stops after a quarter turn. I would have to drill the holes larger in the plate I have. Also, does this get a gasket between it and the muffler?
      Thanks, Robert

100_8881

100_8883

100_8884

• This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Mumbles.
      lloyd
      Participant

US Member

It sounds like the threads in the muffler are stripped out so that the smaller correct size screws in the plate won’t thread into place. Best repair would be to weld shut the holes in the muffler, then redrill and tap for the smaller correct size screws. Or get some screw in thread repair from Ace Hardware that will match the original smaller screws. I can’t remember if there is supposed to be a gasket under the plate but it isn’t really necessary. I hope you have enough aluminum in the muffler to accept the thread repair. If not, you might have to drill out the plate and use larger screws. Tough call.

muddog2
        Participant

Screw holes in muffler seems not to be stripped. This guy was doing a restoration and this is the piece I got with it. The plate is pretty shiny, he probably had it made for the muffler or bought it on line.

RICK EICHRODT
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Please do not use that plate. The J-25’s all used a pipe that fits into the muffler and it has a 90 round exit. If you use that cover plate, drill holes in it so the exhaust can escape. Otherwise you are closing off the exhaust and the motor will not run. Art DeKalb sells a repop of the exhaust snout for the J-25’s. The later J’s did use a cover plate but that is because the exhaust housing had side holes drilled in it so the exhaust could escape. I think the models were the J-75 and J-80’s.

muddog2
            Participant

Thanks for the info. I saw a picture of one a little while ago mounted to the muffler. How can a contact Art DeKalb?

squierka39
              Participant

US Member

http://www.precisionservoutboard.com/ This is Art Dekalbs web site. You can contact him thru there.

muddog2
                Participant

Been to that site, didn’t list anything for J 25. Here is a picture of what the end of the muffler should look like.

johnson8__76503.1455223401.1280.1280-2

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Mumbles.
                  stanley
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Even if it’s not listed,ask Art about the part.He has some castings that are not listed.

muddog2
                    Participant

ok, thanks

The Boat House
                      Participant

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.