Home Forum Ask A Member 1930 Evinrude Speedibee

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    adam1961
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

As limited as the speedi-bee production was, I believe they were branded as Evinrude, OMC, Lockwood and possibly Elto.
      There is at least one very correct one up here in Canada. I know of 3 in the US. Not sure where the rest are. Would be interesting to compare them all.

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

I have tried to reply 4 times now –
        The SpeediBee was going to be Lockwood’s ultimate Chief. It was Finn T. Irgens baby. However Lockwood did not have the money to invest in such a radical departure from service motor norms and made the sale to Steve Briggs more attractive. Finn T. Irgens (Known to all as “Irgie”) had been corresponding with German motorcycle engineers who were the first to put roller bearings on the connecting rods. Lockwood, Elto, Johnson and Evinrude quickly followed suite. The Germans were at that time experimenting with Loop Charging, and when Evinrude gave the go ahead, the first three Speedibee prototypes were loop charged. Irgie’s main idea was to make the crankcase as tight as possible. Using one piece connecting rods eliminated the space needed to clear the connecting rod bolts. This resulted in a five piece crankshaft. The first prototype placed the full time rotary valve on the high cylinders (Starboard) front bypass port. It was found the port cylinder starved for fuel and on examination cracks were found in the alignment key slots in the crankshaft. A second rotary valve and carburetor was added to the port cylinder and the alignment keys were eliminated. In testing to failure the horsepower curve was almost a straight line. Culminating in a reading of 38 horsepower at over 8000 RPM when the engine blew up. For the third prototype a muffler was designed to limit top RPM to 6000. Top horse power was 29 at 5000 RPM. Dad pointed out the first thing a new owner would do was drill holes in the muffler. All this time costs were skyrocketing, and a switch was made to cross flow pistons for dependability. Irgie wrote a paper for the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) stating Loop charging was impractical for outboard motors. The fourth Prototype resulted in adding an auxiliary oiler and final proof of concept proved reliability and, at 28 put out more horse power than the Racing Speeditwin’s 26 at that time.
        spell checker drives me crazy – more later

We’re hoping your “thoughts” on the Speedi Bee can get
        past the Forum’s malfeasance!

Prepare to be boarded!

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

The SpeediBee was going to be Lockwood’s ultimate Chief. It was Finn T. Irgens baby. However Lockwood did not have the money to invest in such a radical departure from service motor norms and made the sale to Steve Briggs more attractive. Finn T. Irgens (Known to all as “Irgie”) had been corresponding with German motorcycle engineers who were the first to put roller bearings on the connecting rods. Lockwood, Elto, Johnson and Evinrude quickly followed suite. The Germans were at that time experimenting with Loop Charging, and when Evinrude gave the go ahead, the first three Speedibee prototypes were loop charged. Irgie’s main idea was to make the crankcase as tight as possible. Using one piece connecting rods eliminated the space needed to clear the connecting rod bolts. This resulted in a five piece crankshaft. The first prototype placed the full time rotary valve on the high cylinders (Starboard) front bypass port. It was found the port cylinder starved for fuel and on examination cracks were found in the alignment key slots in the crankshaft. A second rotary valve and carburetor was added to the port cylinder and the alignment keys were eliminated. In testing to failure the horsepower curve was almost a straight line. Culminating in a reading of 38 horsepower at over 8000 RPM when the engine blew up. For the third prototype a muffler was designed to limit top RPM to 6000. Top horse power was 29 at 5000 RPM. Dad pointed out the first thing a new owner would do was drill holes in the muffler. All this time costs were skyrocketing, and a switch was made to cross flow pistons for dependability. Irgie wrote a paper for the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) stating Loop charging was impractical for outboard motors. The fourth Prototype resulted in adding an auxiliary oiler and final proof of concept proved reliability and, at 28 put out more horse power than the Racing Speeditwin’s 26 at that time.
          spell checker drives me crazy – more later

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

Thanks Garry! Very interesting. I didn’t realize that anyone was experimenting with “pressed together”
            crankshafts that early on. Too bad that more of them weren’t produced. Hopefully whomever is
            hoarding them will write an article on them for the “Outboarder”, lol.

I still haven’t got “Irgie’s” 1948 Sportwin 3.3 hp running correctly….. don’t think it’s his
            crazy carb’s fault though!

Prepare to be boarded!

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

I am beside myself – I spend hours on an answer – then it disappears when I hit [ENTER] . . . At least Mumbles saved my picture of the SpeediBee. The Speeditwin pictured is the 1941 model 6043. Production interrupted by WW2 and the last Racing motor with can’t iron cylinders.

that took – why didn’t this one?

I lost the parts book on that one, but it didn’t,t tell you much anyway – however this may help –

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

The number of parts and the precision needed to assemble them made production painfully slow. They started with parts for 40 motors and had to produce 25 to qualify as a production racing outboard. This kept the big companies from racing one of a kind prototypes against each other. This group of regulators eliminated factory racing teams and encouraged the idea that anyone could race on an equal footing. Once the tapered slugs were pressed into the crankshaft throws to lock in the position it was either perfect or junk. There was no turning back. The list price of $400 was $25 shy of the cost of a new Ford, Plymouth or Chevrolet, but only a third of actual production cost. They were advertised at a horsepower per cubic inch, an unheard of figure before then. The loss was chalked up to Advertising. Dad figured they ended up with around 30 good racers. He assembled 13 of them. Denny Watkins and Irgie built the rest. Dads model 1770007 was the first tested and run in. It was to be delivered to the then class “B” high points champion for a race celebrating the completion of a new Dam that was part of Roosevelt’s “New Deal” to put people back to work and help the economy recover from the Great Depression. The race course was up river and around a bend from the dam. The launching ramp, docks and club house were brand new. Dad mounted the motor and took it out and made sure everything was properly adjusted. Then the new owner added fuel and took it out. He came back visibly shaken, he thought it was more power than the boat could handle. He thought he would take his mechanic with him to hold the boat down for the race. Now Dad was upset. He said he didn’t spend all that time and effort to build a river cruiser. Dad finally talked him into going around the bend in the river where dad would vote and put on his jacket and hat and run the race for him and hurry back so they could change cloths and he could go back to get the prize. Of course this had to be a secrete for it was illegal for several reasons. He got in his car and wentback aver a hill and through the weeds to the river bank hoping the driver would take him up on his offer. Very shortly his SpeediBee came up to the shore and they exchanged jackets and hats. ad mad a pass at the back of the pack watching the clock. When he thought it was time he hit the throttle and was third going into the first turn and first going out of it. He spent the next 4 laps passing boats. Coming out of the last turn the motor sputtered and died. It had run out of gas. As he watched, the float pins came back up so he grabbed a rope and restarted the motor and accelerated to the finish line. After getting the checkered flag he zipped back around the bend to hurriedly give the hat and jacket to their rightful owner. Driving back to the docks, there seemed to be a lot of commotion. He asked one of the officials where the winning driver was. “He ran out of gas and is being towed in” was the reply. Then he was told the new 5 mile competition worlds record for class “B” that was just set, was 5MPH faster than the class “C” worlds record.
                so now you know the rest of the story . . .

seakaye12
                Participant

US Member

More Hidden Posts Garry…..I feel your frustration for sure. Thanks for hanging in there….your information is amazing and much appreciated.

Chuck

Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member

Garry,
                    Re: “I am beside myself – I spend hours on an answer – then it disappears when I hit [ENTER] ”

Not long ago I spent a good deal of time formulation a post, and lost it during editing.
                    After that, on any substantive post, I write them offline in Notepad, save it, then just
                    paste it into the forum. That way if it goes “Poof” and don’t have to start all over again.
                    Very Frustrating!

Prepare to be boarded!

The Boat House
                    Participant

I am beside myself – I spend hours on an answer – then it disappears when I hit [ENTER]

I know the feeling. Not that uncommon for me anyway.

stanley
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Garry,I for one am grateful for the effort you put into presenting this kind of information.This one post from you has it all,interesting engineering details,FDRs “New Deal”and a great story about your father.When Evinrude history is involved and you weigh in,I think,”And now the rest of the story.”(With apologies to Paul Harvey.Thank you sir.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.