Home Forum Ask A Member 1931 Johnson OA 55

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ed
    Participant

I acquired a 1931 Johnson OA 55. It sat in storage for over 50 years. Have started it but it will not continue to run. What are the initial settings for timing and fuel needle valve. Any info to get this old girl running again would be greatly appreciated.

plummah
      Participant

US Member

I picked up the same motor, serial number 160082, a few years ago and got it running with minimal repairs. It doesn’t really like to start, even when warm, without a bit of fiddling. I begin with the spark advance about in the middle, air on full choke, and gas about 1/2 turn. Once it pops slowly open the air and gas, three hands would be a definite plus. Mine usually dies several times and if I’m quick enough cutting the air, not quite to full choke, it will pick up again and after a bit I’ll end up at about 1 to 1-1/4 turns on gas with air lever on fast. Sometime it just won’t pop so I turn off the gas and after a few pulls it will start then I quickly open the gas 1/2 turn or a little more. After a trip around the lake shutting down will necessitate the same procedures all over again. I thought, originally, that there was some ignition problems. Tested coil, cleaned & adjusted points, cleaned carb, changed plug wires. Don’t know if there is anything else I could do to improve starting. Once it is going it runs great at all speeds. Idles down beautifully. Do have to adjust the gas occasionally as vibrations seems to back it off even though packing nut is pretty tight. It is well matched with my 1940 14′ Old Town Square Stern boat.

wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

My opposedtwin A’s are all easy starters. However, they flood easily. My starting protocol for all of them is as follows…

1) Carb needle set to 1/2 turn open
          2) Open fuel shut off valve
          3) Set carb lever to choke
          4) Set timing lever to just a bit past center
          5) Once the float rises in the bowl hold it down for 1 sec
          6) Pull the rope.

Usually mine will start on the first pull, but it will immediately die if the choke lever isn’t quickly set to “run”. If it dies, give it choke again and pull the rope. If it still doesn’t start move the lever to “run” again and pull the rope. Completely close the carb needle if it doesn’t start within 5 pulls. Pull the rope until it starts. No more than two pulls in the choke position or it will flood. This works for me. I can’t guarantee it will work for you.

The coils on the A’s are usually good. You may have to check the condenser if spark is inconsistent.

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

lyks2tinkr
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The OA series motors IMHO are some of the best that Johnson produced.
            I have an OA55 that is my go to motor for a reliable ride.
            Starts at 3/4 needle open and runs at just better than 1/2 open.
            Easy starter when cold or hot.
            If yours doesn’t start well and run well you may want to go through the ignition and fuel system.
            I also have a 1933 OA65 that is just as good a runner.
            Great motor and a great find.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.