Home Forum Ask A Member 1931 OA55 Johnson

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    spike
    Participant

Can anyone tell me what is the correct finish for the cast muffler ends would be on my OA55? After searching several photos on Google I find various ways that have been used, wondering what they would have used at the factory?

IMG_0048

• This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Mumbles.
      lyks2tinkr
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Congrats on the OA55. IMHO the OA series of motors are some of the best running and we’ll behaved outboards Johnson ever made. My OA55 was the first restoration I ever did in 2007 and it still runs like a top with no fussing around.
        The muffler should be a nickel plated from the factory. The ends are either cast aluminum or nickel plated as well. I’ll have to look at mine to confirm.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by lyks2tinkr.
        spike
        Participant

Thanks for the reply Tinker. I agree the OA series are great motors and are excellent runners. I have the 55 & 65 but am missing the 60, seems in my neck of the woods they are scarce, maybe someday. I would say you are correct on the nickel, after removing what seemed to be a healthy coat of BBQ paint I can see where the muffler and down tube showed traces of it. I found the video of yours. Looks great! would like to see more, never get enough!

lyks2tinkr
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I also have the OA65. i really like the nickle plated torch shaped muffler. Also a great runner. i dont have an OA60. I picked up an OK75 Last year that looks like giant OA55 minus the red tank

The Boat House
            Participant

RICHARD A. WHITE
              Participant

Lifetime Member

I have the OA-60… It will be for sale soon, complete even…just buried in my shed till spring…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                classicomctools@gmail.com

spike
                Participant

Keeping with the OA65, Johnson officially called it ” Taper Tube Underwater Exhaust “.Sounds like a great deal for only $96.50!

IMG_0052

IMG_0051

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Mumbles.
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.