Home Forum Ask A Member 1935 evinrude sport four

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tinkerman
    Participant

US Member

I have a 1935 evinrude sport four that I’m gonna put new rings in and see if I can up the compression a little. What kind of material do I need for the head/cylinder to block gasket. The old ones fell apart and were made of a super thin (think sheet of notebook paper) stiff paper like but not paper – no metal at all type . I’m sure someone here has substituted something. Not a problem cutting another one just unsure of the material to use. As usual all help is appreciated!

It's a jungle out there.

Tom
      Participant

US Member

I use paper grocery bags for those and just grease them before use.

Randy in Tampa
        Participant

I have a 31 sportfour and Garry Spencer worked on it with me and he used brown paper grocery bags also like Tom did, i’m sure you can buy thin gasket material also from the auto parts store to use, I don’t think it’s gonna make a difference in compression if the gasket is slightly thicker ……🤔

Rotary valve Johnson’s Rule!

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

YEP – back in the day, as long as the surfaces were flat, we used unbleached butcher paper.
            \
            \ Garry in Michigan

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

To check the surfaces I used a piece af broken polished marble counter top with a sheet of 600 grit wet or dry carborundum paper stuck to it. With water or thin oil, it will quickly show any high spots. Dad used an unbelievably heavy bullet proof window from a bank that was being torn down. If your careful, plate glass works, as well as some polished floor tiles.
              \
              \

Garry in Michigan

tinkerman
              Participant

US Member

Thanks for the reply’s guys. Nice brown paper sack it is!!!

It's a jungle out there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.