1936 Evinrude 4178 carburetor issues. A little help needed…

Home Forum Ask A Member 1936 Evinrude 4178 carburetor issues. A little help needed…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)

• huntleybill

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 328
    Topics: 136

I’ve had this 4178 sitting is the shop for a long time and decided to see what I can do with it. It has good spark and compression. I have cleaned the carb but can’t seem to get it to run right. I can get it to start and run for a few seconds when I squirt fuel into the carb. When I press down on the plunger, fuel squirts out the top of the carb from around the plunger shaft.

Isn’t the plunger supposed to “pump” fuel into the engine? I don’t think it is supposed to gush out around the plunger shaft but what do I know? This is why I’m here asking! Also, I can get it to run a little longer if I cover the intake of the carb with my hand choking it almost completely.

I have sprayed carb cleaner through ports and holes. I have blown out the carb with compressed air. The float bowl is filling up and it seems that the float needle and seat are working. It seems to me that fuel is just not getting from the bowl to the motor but I don’t know why.

Can anyone help with this issue? What should the needle be set to initially?
    I am attaching pictures if that will help.

Thank you for your help
    Bill

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 7493
    Topics: 1072

Does the plunger use leather seals like the Johnson HD and TD motors, or
    a rubber seal of some kind. Sounds like the seal is bad, and / or you have
    a blockage on the discharge of the pump.
    I can’t find a manual or parts list for a light four this old.
    I haven’t seen Garry Spencer on this new web site, but perhaps he knows?

Prepare to be boarded!

huntleybill

US Member - 2 Years

I see no seals or o-rings on the plunger at all. I was thinking the same thing as you but I also do not have a parts manual for this motor. I can blow compressed air through it so I am not convinced it is clogged but who knows?

The Boat House

Replies: 4549
    Topics: 111

huntleybill

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Tubs, I will try that.

huntleybill

US Member - 2 Years

I tried the O-ring and it did nothing to help.

I also put the baffles back on the carb intake (not shown in pictures). I then put masking tape around the baffles to block off air flow. I covered all the openings except the very front small hole. I could then get the motor to start and run (albeit a little rough). I could adjust the air/fuel mixture needle with NO EFFECT until it was closed. When closed the motor would stumble, slow, and die out.

Any other advice?

lyks2tinkr

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 402
    Topics: 55

I have a 37 Handifour that is mechanically the same motor with the same carb.
    It sounds like from what your describing that the motor is running very lean and your having g to choke it off to get it to run at all.
    It is either sucking air through a bad gasket or there is a fuel restriction.
    My experience with the internals of these 4 cylinders is limited but getting better as I’m rebuilding mine.
    Wondering if a worn rotary seal between the cylinders could be the culprit.

The Boat House

huntleybill

US Member - 2 Years

This motor does not have that tubing on it. It would seem to me as well that it is starved for fuel but I see no check balls or anything that would substitute for a check ball. I’ll look again.

The Boat House

Pump-3

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.