Home Forum Ask A Member 1937 Evinrude fisherman 4.4 hp spark issue

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    wbeaton
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

My two cents…

1. Compression of 70-80 psi is not low. It’s actually quite high for that motor.
      2. The replacement coils look quite old. I wouldn’t trust them even if they test good on the bench.
      3. The original condensers are usually bad or failing on those motors. I think they are .1 or .12 mfd. You’d have to look it up.
      4. I would use the condensers that are matched to the replacement coils.
      5. Unless the copper wire in the high tension lead is bare and arcing to the flywheel it can’t be a source of lost spark.

Good luck with it. It will be a good runner once it’s sorted out.

Wayne
      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Geer Pyron
      Participant

Well damn.
        Your two cents cost me…..
        $25.
        Ha!
        But the rings were definitely stuck so had to be unstuck.
        The condenser matches now. The photo above was a different incarnation.
        But the mag plate issue was solved. I’ll post a picture of the the solution.
        And it doesn’t make cents to me either, that the electricity can go through the plug wire insulation. But it was. The flywheel was actually rubbing the blk spark plug wire. Electricity takes path of least resistance and apparently it took less effort to go through the insulation than it did to jump .030 under 70 psi.

JMGP

Geer Pyron
        Participant

And this is a picture of underside of flywheel.
          The shiny ring was were it was rubbing on the spark plug wire.

JMGP

wbeaton
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I believe that the wire was rubbing and needed to be corrected. My concern is simply that the return of spark may be coincidental. I had a similar issue with a Wizard 12 hp recently that had a “new” used ignition. It was a long saga before I eventually replaced the coils and condensers. Hopefully your issue is resolved.

Wayne
            Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Geer Pyron
            Participant

Thanks Wayne.
              I love that, and it so jives with my M.O. “Return of spark was incidental”.
              Diagnostics ain’t my long suit.
              I have to add also that this is the oldest motor I’ve worked on so far and have enjoyed it.
              AND! I have to say I’m going to “treat it right” as a friend suggested I do. I’ll get it buttoned together and have matching wires (yellow) when all is said and done.
              G

JMGP

wbeaton
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I think you will love it when you’re done. For your next antique project I would suggest an early Johnson opposed twin 1921-1934.

Here are some photos of a 1937ish Viking 4 hp I recently fixed for a friend. Basically the same motor you have except it was sold exclusively through Eaton’s department stores in Canada.

3A7D62FA-495E-43AE-89AF-277809705412

1CA2EF52-D32D-4A58-A65A-F0A60523AD03

33CAE62C-EB27-4635-A067-0A63F0F5E986

Wayne
                Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

The Boat House
                Participant

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.