Home Forum Ask A Member 1940 Johnson model HA10 questions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    opposedtwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

How in the world does this gear case slip off the drive shaft housing/tube with that fitting on the end of the water line in the way?

Also, is this lower unit identical to the MS/MD38 and 39 models? It looks like it but I can’t be sure. Those are singles and this is a double but the having the same lower 1/2 of the motor is possible.

And how does one remove the flywheel on this model? Where are the holes for my puller? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Finally, does anyone have a parts catalog/breakdown for this model?

Scott

CCD766CD-C56C-4E93-9051-A3A5EBAD8C36

420CB8E5-7FD3-4556-A4EF-399EC9CA844A

C723CDA6-A632-405C-8E21-3DFAA8C72180

DCB4768C-A680-4578-AC5E-4DC0018C6CFF

• This topic was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by opposedtwin.
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by opposedtwin.
      stanley
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The parts list describes that piece as a “water tube nut” and shows it as a separate piece.No idea how you remove it.I do know that the other end of that tube is held with a compression fitting.I have an HA39 and just use a “knocker”to remove the flywheel .

opposedtwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Stanley!
          Interestingly enough, i put the flywheel nut back on, spun it with an impact (slowly) and it popped loose!

Now to figure out this gear case issue!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by opposedtwin.
          wanderlustjake
          Participant

I just pulled mine on my DT-10. I pulled the powerhead, which is pretty easy. Pulled the driveshaft and driveshaft tube (I ground down a 1″ spade bit wood drill with the tips ground off to remove the slotted nut). When you do that there is clearance for the nut when pulling the gearcase. Make sure you remove the gearcase bolt completely before trying to slide the gearcase off (DT-10 tube is notched for the bolt which I was unaware of at first).

Hope this helps,

Jason

opposedtwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When you do that there is clearance for the nut when pulling the gearcase.

Not sure I understand this part completely. So the nut (in my pictures above) stays on the end of the 1/4 inch copper tube that it’s attached to, correct? So what exactly did you do with the altered spade bit?

Which slotted nut did you use the spade bit on? Maybe this will be clear to me if It remive the powerhead? Do I need to remove the power head for sure?

wanderlustjake
              Participant

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. Yes, the nut stays on the tube. The manual says to remove the powerhead in order to remove the components to allow gearcase removal. When you remove the powerhead, you’ll see there is a slotted nut at the top of the lower unit, that holds the driveshaft casing tube in place. I used the spade bit to remove that nut (Johnson called out a special tool for it) it holds the casing tube in place against the grease seal at the bottom end. When you remove the casing, it allows room to push the water line and it’s fitting back into the area that the tube formerly took up. Even with the driveshaft tube removed it was kind of tight. I don’t know if it’s possible to remove the gearcase without doing it. I am new to these and followed the manual steps. The gearcase bolt acts as a cross-pin and needs removed too.
                Someone with more experience may chime in.
                Hope this helped?

1 user thanked author for this post.
                The Boat House
                Participant

https://youtu.be/O9lqeUHLcis

opposedtwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Removed the powerhead and voila!! Thanks for the help guys!

Boat House! Nice LS 37! I got one of those recently too! Needs a tank and a spark plug cover. They’ll turn up somewhere!

Scott

Buccaneer
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Tubs, Very nice looking and running Johnson!
                      Your yard and home looks so nice I don’t know
                      when you have time to work on outboards.

Prepare to be boarded!

wanderlustjake
                      Participant

Great! Glad you were able to get it apart. Keep us posted as I am in process of replacing the gearcase on my DT-10.

Tubs, that is a nice motor!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.