Home Forum Ask A Member 1946 6039 Speeditwin color / colour

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rapier
    Participant

Can anyone advise the ’46 colours please? I want to paint my project, but am not sure how much was dull aluminium and how much unpainted /polished. Is this aqua scheme on my motor genuine – most of those I see online indicate it isn’t, but it looks so to me, i.e. why go to that effort to paint something hidden under the flywheel?

Attachments:

eltoquad
      Participant

US Member

I don’t know why some one painted that under the flywheel but it’s sure not factory.

pm-t2
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Here’s a couple of pictures of Speeditwins that fall into that category. One is a refinished motor, the other is bone stock original. Colours should be accurate enough to use as a guide.

rapier
          Participant

Thanks. Dull aluminium is unobtainable this side of the pond – does anyone know the RAL code for it please?

Is the exhaust painted, or coated with some high heat coating?

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

The exhaust housing has a water jacket on top to keep heat away from the fuel and that seems to be enough to protect the paint on the entire housing. Many members use a heat resistant paint as added insurance. There are usually other signs of cooling system failure so a color change in the paint is unnecessary . . . 😆

rapier
              Participant

Not having much luck with finding dull aluminium paint this side of the pond, with the latest from the paint shop being too grey. Anyone have a paint code for the 1940 onwards dull aluminum?

Attachments:

squierka39
                Participant

US Member

That doesn’t look too bad. Once you get the motor together with the right parts polished and a new decal it will look great. It’s hard to tell what the true original colors looked like as most originals have faded and gotten stained with oil over the many years. Yes will only get better with age.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.