1949 Johnson 10hp QD-10 igntion questions

Home Forum Ask A Member 1949 Johnson 10hp QD-10 igntion questions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)

• parker

Replies: 5
    Topics: 2

I’m new to working on vintage outboards and am just getting in to tinkering with a QD-10 that’s been sitting around for at least 25 years. I’ve got weak spark (enough to shock me but not enough to visualize) on the top cylinder and no spark on the bottom. Compression is good. The coils appear original so I’m guessing that’s part of my problem. Can someone point me in the direction towards upgrading the coils to using the later style that’s still available? I’ve read this is possible with a little fabrication but can’t find a DIY.

Through the port of the flywheel I can see the coils and the points. The points I see don’t match what’s in the parts catalog. Can anybody shed light on these in the attached image? Was going to check and see if I could clean the breaker but these look different than what I’m used to seeing. Part number 510054. Can’t find much information out there. Thank you in advance!

RICK EICHRODT

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 267
    Topics: 79

It is my opinion that you may have good coils but dirty points and maybe faulty condensers. This ignition system has a magnet rotor that spins close to the coils, they face inward to the rotor. Meter the coil and read for secondary continuity. Go from spark plug wire to the ground on the coil and you should get an ohm reading. If you get an open reading, just like holding the two ends of your ohmmeter apart, then you have bad coils. If you do get a good reading, somewhere between 1000 and 5000 ohms, then the coils "should" be good. Clean the contacts of the points and install new condensers and then see what kind of spark you get. I am sure others will chime in with their opinions. Take your time and do some research!

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

That was a standard magneto from 1947 through 1951. (OMC motors from 1946 were mostly left overs from 1942) The new magneto standard came with the 1951 on the Big Twin Evinrude & RD model Johnson. This was on the Gale products 5 horse . . .

and this on the Evinrude 3.3 horse Sportwin . . .

Make sure your breaker points are REALLY CLEAN . . . 😎

Your breaker base is different, but the layout of the insulators is the same. . .

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Actually, the QD-10 has the notorious 580040 coils that are notorious for being NG. And the breaker points are part # 580016.

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

New coils and points are still available, but cost more than the whole motor is worth.

parker

Thank you for all of the info everyone! I’ll check the resistance on the coils and clean the contacts on the points. That breaker point assembly diagram really helps.

parker

Update:

Cleaned and adjusted the points. Getting great spark out of number 1! Still getting nothing out of the other spark plug. The resistance from the coil to the ignition wire on the non-firing plug tests as OL. On the firing one I get about .35 k ohms. So, it is looking like a bad coil from what I can see.

I’ll look around for a NOS coil however if there is a new replacement that I can modify I’d much prefer to go that route. Can someone let me know which one to get?

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

I understand the classic OMC coil may be used with the existing 580040 laminations and a little creative modification of the spark plug wire routing . . . 😎

parker

2nd Update

I’ve swapped the laminations from the old 580040 coils onto the new ones I purchased (18-5181). Here are the best directions I found on how to to the modifications to the coils and the mag plate underneath. http://www.mlaoc.ca/uploads/1/0/5/9/10597650/johnson_qd_coils.pdf

I’ll post more pictures when I pick up some replacement ignition wires. Right now I’m using the old ones and they can be routed better. But the best part is I now have spark on both cylinders! Going to have to pull the mag plate off again to secure the new wires so I haven’t tried running the motor yet.

View of mag plate with old coils:

Difference in coil laminations:

Comparison between new and old on mag plate

Mag plate with new coils

PDF

lindy46

Replies: 496
    Topics: 41

That should work. I had to do the same thing with my 1954 Majestic as the replacement coils were way too expensive – much more than the cost of the motor. Make sure to tuck in those coil wires so they don’t rub on the flywheel or cam/crankshaft.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.