Home Forum Ask A Member 1949 TD 20 low speed jet question

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mwohlenhaus
    Participant

Working on building a new float out of balsa.  That is what I had on hand last night.  I used a 1-5/16” hole saw with no pilot drill to drill a core out of a block balsa.  I haven’t started sanding it yet, but it won’t take much to get it to finish size diameter.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

balsa may or may notbe good as    it may  absorb fuel over time via the center  pin

why not try the Mercury float solution with a fuel proof  float

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
        Participant

Here’s the Merc float I’ve used in TN/TD carbs. The small spring on top is removed and then a small hole is drilled thru the floats insert. I drill it small enough so it is snug on the needle which allows for setting the float level. Too big a hole and the float will slide on the needle.

DSC00008

What was that about ugly TN’s run good?  I couldn’t agree anymore!

https://youtu.be/9o3K-JnijbU

lloyd
          Participant

US Member

Runs and idles great!  Did you make the balsa float or use a Mercury float?

The Boat House
            Participant

I don’t have a lot of experience with these but keeping the carb
              from running over has been a real challenge for me. Picking up
              a couple carburetors to use as a replacement, witness marks
              from beating on side of the carburetor seem to indicate that this
              is not an uncommon problem. I second polishing the needle
              and seat.
              Making a float – I would suggest Mumbles recommendation.
              If the float is out of round or the float pin isn’t centered it may
              cause the pin to lean against the hole in the cover restricting
              its up & down movement. That’s my thinking anyway.
              Tubs

Mwohlenhaus
              Participant

I did build a balsa float but evidently, the block I cut it out of was very dense and it turned out quite a bit heavier than the cork original.  I went with the merc float and it worked pretty well.  I have touched the needle up with 800 grit and then a 3m polishing pad.  I then cleaned the seat area up as well as I could.  It still leaked a bit but good enough for now.  I am hoping that the needle/seat will set as I run it.  It idles VERY well.  I wasn’t able to test the high-speed setting out yet due to not having the prop on it to put it under load.  I found out that the two exhaust holes in the tube are not centered in the back…and it spits out a decent amount of water from them onto the floor when I run it in a 5 gal bucket…so the water pump is strong.

Mwohlenhaus
                Participant

An update here.  It runs really well static.  I can’t wait to get it out on the lake next spring to test it under load.  I acquired a 1950 TN 26 from a local guy.  Saw the bottom of the motor sticking out of a trailer with a bunch of other stuff.  I left the owner a note to call.  He called and said it was mine if I wanted it.  The history was it was his grandpa’s, then got passed to his uncle until it came to him.  He said he was unsure what was wrong with it but that it never ran when his uncle had it, and he believed it sat for a number of years while his grandpa had it.  The motor was stuck and missing one screw from the recoil.  It came with a home-built stand too.  As soon as I got it home I loaded the cylinders with marvel mystery oil.  It soaked for about a week.  tried pulling it over with no success.  took the tank off and put a strap wrench on the flywheel.  Very little effort and it broke loose.  happened to be grounding the coil wire when the motor broke loose and got a tingle.  cleaned up the points and it fixed the bottom cylinder with no spark issue.  each cylinder was in the 72-74 PSI compression range.  Took the carb off and the oil-soaked carb came apart easier than the TD 20.  the primer assembly came out with no problem.  I am awaiting the time to rebuild/assemble everything and see if she won’t fire up.  The cork looked pretty good in this one so will try using it as is.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.