Home Forum Ask A Member 1950 Speeditwin 6039 Rods

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    garry-in-michigan
    Participant

Lifetime Member

My post disappeared – I said some things to the computer that made my cat hide. second try . . .
      The last superseding number is 276776, two specified. The Speedifour uses the same connecting rod. On the Speeddifour you can see the oil hole is on the short side of the offset, which is the port cylinder.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by seakaye12.
      • This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by RICHARD A. WHITE.
      garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

My post disappeared – I said some things to the computer that made my cat hide.My fourth try . . .
        The last superseding number is 276776, two specified. The Speedifour uses the same connecting rod. On the Speedifour you can see the oil hole is on the short side of the offset, which is the port cylinder.

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

disappearing post

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

third try
            In the early 1940s the Navy saw a need for a high pressure portable firefighting pump. The highest power outboard at that time was the Evinrude Racing 460. Evinrude modified it to become the Storm Boat Motor, Johnson modified it to become the P500 Pumper. Being portable, it may not have a good source of water. Bubbles in the input caused periods of over the red line engine speed. Johnson designed a shorter heavy duty connecting rod for the pumper. After the war these Army Surplus pumps were snapped up and rebuilt to be used as racers. At one time Clyde Weisman (Wisco Piston Co.) furnished a high dome racing piston for the Speeditwin that used these shorter pumper rods.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

fifth try

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

One fuel tank was used while the other could be taken to be refilled.

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

Thanks Garry for the interesting information on the Speeditwin rod conversions
                  and history of the fire pumps. I have the Evinrude version of the firepump
                  using the Imperial Lightwin. It’s a little weak on compression and would
                  probably need new crankshaft main bushings to be a runner.

I put the rods back in my Speeditwin today. I knew the crankshaft rod
                  journals were a little worn and etched, but noticed also today
                  that the rod shells are etched in spots also. Hope it will hold together
                  for a yearly ride, or until I run across better parts, or entire different motor.

Happy New Year!

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member

My reply disapeared 🙁

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
                    Participant

US Member

Seen this on Facebook……. this guy must have “good” rods in his Speeditwin!

Alky-Speeditwin

Prepare to be boarded!

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 28 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.