Home Forum Ask A Member 1950s Big Twin (Lark) electric start

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

I think you are talking about the vacuum cut-out switch there. The starter solenoid was originally placed in the junction box in the boat. The choke solenoid is on the bottom of the carburetor.

mgsolakis
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Ok so that makes things clearer, I don’t have a junction box. Your right Frank, I thought the vacuum cut-out was the solenoid.

1946zephyr
        Participant

That could be the runaway cut out switch. Its possible to put the solenoid under the hood, but typically, they would go in an external j box.

mgsolakis
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Yup- it looks like I’m missing the junction box. Never done this kind of wiring on an old motor before. That explains my problems though.

1946zephyr
            Participant

I have seen the solenoids mounted under the shrouds, actually, but a good ol’ OMC j box would be better. Too much stuff in that shroud would make it tough to work on in there.

mgsolakis
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Thanks for all the help folks-ill start a new thread if I need help once I get the solenoid.

1946zephyr
                Participant

Those junction boxes are quite easy to come by. A member may likely be able to help out. If not, you could even go with a stainless box.

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.