Home Forum Ask A Member 1951 Evinrude M4443 7 1/2 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    labrador-guy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Been working on this old Evinrude and finding out parts are hard to find. Anybody know if the newer 7 1/2 OMC head gasket is the same as this ’51? Part numbers for power head gaskets and rings would also help. This motor only had 35# compression and I am trying to save it!
      thanks
      dale

frankr
      Participant

US Member
        frankr
        Participant

US Member

Yes, 203034 head gasket also fits the newer powerhead

labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Frank, That’s gonna help!
            dale

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Dale, I have a M7512 Fleetwin I got at Tomahawk this year. I think mine will be a runner, but it seems to have gearcase issues. The neutral clutch knob / lever shifts, but the foot never comes out of gear. I’m not sure of the differences between ’51 and ’53 but I’ll be following along to see what I can learn.
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Here’s for your 7512
                http://www.knology.net/~tombeam/originalliterature.html
                You do know it wont shift to neutral unless it is running or at least rotating, right?

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nope, I didn’t know that Frank. This one is a new one on me. Thank you much for the link! I had it running in my tank (poorly so far, still needs carb work) and didn’t notice the shift working, but maybe it was. Knowing that, I’ll sure check it again before I tear into it looking for a problem. I’ll give Dale his thread back now before I completely hijack it. 😉
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

1946zephyr
                  Participant

Are your numbers even between the two cylinders? If so, try a different compression guage. If it runs, then your compression couldn’t be that low.
                    Finding parts are not quite as bad as you might think. Fortunately, you came to the right place. There are actually a pretty good number of folks here nice enough to help out in some way.

labrador-guy
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have it apart now no broken or stuck rings. They have about .25ths end gap and the edges are real sharp. This motor shows some signs that it was once rusty inside. Not a roller bearing anywhere in this baby. Looks like none of the OMC 7 1/2hp have real bearings. No wonder they quit making them. I have manuals from ’55 to ’64 but this my first major tear down on one of these motors.

dale

1946zephyr
                      Participant

No, there are no roller bearings in that. You don’t want to go leaner than 16:1 mix on that either. You’ll quickly nuke a rod and vent the block. They are good motors though. The integrated tank is a neat feature. Almost like a big brother to the Lightwin/Sportwin of the same era.
                        1954, they were completely redesigned with the full shift and everything below the powerhead base gasket, was interchangeable with the CD 5.5hp models, year for year. 1956, they were redesigned again with a whole new exhaust housing and such and still everything below the powerhead base gasket was interchangeable with the CD/Fisherman 5.5hp. Fleetwins were discontinued after 1958. They made a comeback in 1980 – 83 and were just like the 6 and 8hp of those years. Those motors were all roller bearing motors and ran on 50:1 mix.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.