Home Forum Ask A Member 1951 Evinrude

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    labrador-guy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi guys, what can you tell me about these OMC cables that control the throttle and timing? I am thinking I might put a kill switch on this motor. This is a 1951 25hp and it looks to me, if the cables jump off their wheels or break, that might ruin your day! Has that ever happened to anyone? It might be hard to find the choke in a panic situation.

dale

Attachments:

david-bartlett
      Participant

Dale,

I have a 1954 RD-16 with the cable operated magneto like yours. I have run it a lot and have never had an issue. I will say that mine does not have the extra piece that yours has for the remote throttle mechanism.

labrador-guy
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I thought about getting rid of that control thing. But I would have to plug the hole in the hood and find another cable. It probably could be done, will see.

dale

opposedtwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you get rid of it, i’d be interested in it.
            Scott

olcah
            Participant

US Member

I also have a 54 Evinrude 25 HP with the cable arrangement and have used it a lot with no problems with the cable. I think it is important to set the cable tension correctly – too loose could be a problem if the cable came off a pulley.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

I have never seen any failures of the cable system.

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

There were two companies that made remote controls for the Big Twin – Tru Steer was one – I can’t find the ad I had for them – 8^(
                  Engineering had to convince Steve Briggs that they were practical before they got approval for OMC to market there own remote control. They set up a 19 foot boat with twin `52 Electric start Big Twins and remote controls for him to try out. He ran it for a week end and said it was easier to handle and more fun than his inboard. Engineering got there approval.

The trailer they set it up on used a winch with a half inch nylon rope with an S hook on the end. It so happened the the second weekend he had problems pulling it out of the water. He cranked on the winch but the boat wouldn’t roll on the trailer. He gave it a few more clicks and then bent over to check that the keel was lined up with the roller. There was a twang and crash and he found the S hook had straightened and had been propelled by the nylon line through the back window of his car. Cast iron hooks were installed on all of Evinrudes boat trailers. . . 😎

opposedtwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I believe these are your pics Garry.

Attachments:

adam1961
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Hi Guys,
                      Sorry for the hijack….
                      I have some extra Tru Ster throttle brackets (the ones that go through the cowl), but am looking for a set of those coiled steel rods that are seen at the rear of the motor in the second to last photo. They are the only part of my Duotrol setup that is missing.

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

That is what I was looking for. OMC went with Tru-ster’s push pull cables as they seemed to be more flexable and adaptable to many different situations. Tru-ster was very popular until OMC’s competition put them out of business. Fox River’s Duotrol had the advantage of only stocking one size of cable. The rotating rods they used along the sides of the boat could be cut to any length by the dealer. OMC’s 12 and 13 foot cables were so popular in the mid west that a shortage of them accured in June and July for several years. So although Tru-ster went out of business, Teleflex, who supplied there cables, prospered. . . 😎

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.