Home Forum Ask A Member 1953/4 Evinrude Big Twin Carburetor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jersey Jim
    Participant

US Member

Moving slowly ahead with the work on the 53/54 Big Twin towards test start fairly soon. Water pump impeller has been changed and cylinders cleaned out. Carburetor is all apart and cleaned, overhaul kit on hand, ready to reassemble. I have the factory repair manual with parts diagram. My problem is the factory diagram shows the slow speed needle valve washer goes in first, then the packing, then the nut. I also have a Sierra diagram showing the packing goes in first, then the washer, then the nut, which seems to make more sense to me.

For the high speed needle valve, the Evinrude diagram shows only the packing followed by the nut, no washer. The Sierra diagram again shows packing, washer and nut, same as the slow speed needle valve.

I have all of these parts and would really appreciate advice on how it should go together.

The overall plan for this project is to try for a basic start using a gravity feed fuel supply then try a fuel pump.

This motor also needs an overall exterior cleaning due to greasy, dirty film from years of storage in the garage. Any suggestions on some sort of spray wash, keeping everything under the flywheel dry, would be appreciated.

lindy46
      Participant

US Member

I always put the packing in, then the washer (if supplied) and then the packing nut against the washer.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, the packing goes in first followed by the clear plastic washers.  But, I don’t think they even used those clear plastic washers “back in the day”,  so I would really be interested in seeing the OEM parts diagram showing a washer being used in front of the packing.  Are you sure the “washer” you are seeing is not actually the threaded sleeve for the needle valve??

Post a picture of the diagram if you can…Don

Jersey Jim
          Participant

US Member

I am attempting to send 3 photos:  1. Evinrude exploded view of the carburetor.  2.Parts list. 3.Sierra exploded view not dated or really identified, has parts list. Photos too big, will work on this using instructions in AOMC magazine instructions.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

you can send the pics to my email if you like:   dkellogg56@gmail.com    Don

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.