Home Forum Ask A Member 1953 Big Twin Fires on Two but Runs on One Cylinder Only

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Dower
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have scoured the AOMCI Forum for insight on this issue, but have been unable to make progress so, reluctant as I am to start another “runs poorly” thread, I am hoping there is something I have missed.

After rebuild of carburetor, motor started with usual number of pulls. Seemed to be running fine in barrel, but back firing occasionally. Motor ran fine with plug wire detached from top cylinder, stalls almost immediately when bottom cylinder wire pulled, so problem with top cylinder

I have replaced points, coil, condenser, plug (J6C), ignition wire on top cylinder. Gap is 0.02. It has fresh gas. There was some oil under the magneto plate, but that was cleaned before reinstalling plate.

Quandary is:
      1. Spark is great on both cylinders (jumps at least an inch out of the plug boots)
      2. Compression is about 106 in both cylinders
      3. Switching plugs makes no difference (still top cylinder failing)

I even pulled the reed valves; they looked fine, but I swapped them anyway with no change: still top cylinder not running

What am missing? If there was a leak in the top cylinder somewhere, would I still get equal compression readings? Top cylinder plug is wet when pulled, but doesn’t seem to be water, and seems to be firing fine, just not igniting. No apparent leaks in head gasket, but, again, would I get equal compression readings? Thought about some grounding problem somewhere, but plug is firing.

Motor has always been a strong runner, albeit loud and gas thirsty.
      Stumped and frustrated.

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

By any chance, has it been converted to a fuel pump system? If so, how was it done?

Back to basics, it needs fuel in the correct amount, spark at the right time, compression, and what many forget, crankcase compression. Your problem is in one of those areas. Sounds like you have covered most of them. Without any reason in particular, I am thinking crankcase compression. Checking the reeds was wise, but non-productive. Piston rings provide compression, but trashed piston skirts can affect crankcase compression. Has it ever been overheated?

Thinking deeper,, is it getting water into that missing cylinder?

Jonathan Dower
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks, Frankr. Has not been overheated, to my knowledge, since I have had it (about 12 years). Plugs are wet, but seems to be gas. If water was getting into that cylinder, would that be indicated in the compression readings? How to check, other than pulling off the cylinder head?

Jonathan Dower
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Oh, forgot…no: still uses pressure tank.

frankr
            Participant

Thanks, Frankr. Has not been overheated, to my knowledge, since I have had it (about 12 years). Plugs are wet, but seems to be gas. If water was getting into that cylinder, would that be indicated in the compression readings? How to check, other than pulling off the cylinder head?

That much water should be obvious on the plugs. Exhaust cover is a common source. Squirts into the exhaust ports.

Jonathan Dower
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Pulling the exhaust cover should reveal water any water?

frankr
                Participant

Pulling the exhaust cover should reveal water any water?

Look for pin holes in it. But the idea was a shot in the dark, You didn’t see any water on the plugs.

Randy in Tampa
                  Participant

New spark plug wires? Chinese condenser?🤔

Rotary valve Johnson’s Rule!

Jonathan Dower
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wire and connector are new. Don’t know origin of condenser, but swapped it with another….still no difference.

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Pulling the exhaust cover is a lot of messy work, especially on only a “hunch”. Water droplets should be fairly evident on the plug if water intrusion is an issue. You mentioned that you “swapped the reed valves”, just how did you do that? It is kind of risky disassembling the reed plate and swapping the pedals around, flipping them around can cause them to break.
                        Tell us more about this engine, you mention it has always been a strong runner”…Tell us when it last ran properly, and what work was done that might have affected it… You seem confident that the engine is actually sparking on both cylinders, how have you confirmed this? Just cuz it is sparking on both while cranking, doesn’t mean it is sparking on both while running. You might try those inline neon testers to make sure it is actually sparking on both while running.
                        Will it run on two cylinders at any speed? In other words, will it run on both cylinders at high speed, but loses one at low speed, or perhaps vica versa?
                        Crankcase leaks/primary compression could be an issue, but something would have to be radically wrong inside to keep the engine from running on both cylinders at high speed. Keep in mind that primary compression issues might not affect compression gage readings at all. A good example might be a broken piston skirt….Something like this just doesn’t seem very likely on this brute of an engine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.